Dec 17, 2005

Diehard Brave Cold For Shot At XBox

Share
(Toledo, OH) While running errands this evening I came across a group of the hardiest, most fanatical video game enthusiasts I have ever seen.

There were about 30 people spending the night outside of the Best Buy on Monroe Street to get a shot at purchasing the new XBox 360.

"I read online that they were getting 36 of the new XBoxes in tonight," said Brian Grady of Toledo. "I wanted to make sure that my kids get one for Christmas."

Another man, whose name I did not catch, said he had been there since 2 PM today; this will mean an 18-hour wait overnight in temperatures dipping down into the low teens.


"I have on three layers of clothing plus this thermal blanket," he said. "We were taking turns waiting in my friend's car until his battery died."

The Xbox 360 Core lists at $299.99, and the "premium" version costs $399.99. On sites like eBay XBoxes have been fetching two to three times the retail prices.

Industry analysts debate whether Microsoft deliberately shipped an insufficient supply of XBoxes or whether this is a massive failure by the suppliers to the corporate behemoth to deliver the game consoles.

Molly O'Donnell, a spokeswoman for Microsoft, told the Washington Post that the company had projected that it would sell 3 million XBox 360s in the first three months, and that it is still on track to hit that goal.

5 comments:

ajax saith said...

i have no understanding to all this xbox-360 hysteria, don't these people already have computers to play their games on?

i have plenty of enjoyment just playing the free game demos available from various game sites, and i bought a few full versions that impressed me

but what i puzzle most about is the waiting in line, and sitting in line mentallity, maybe it is a tribal thing that generates communal communion, surely if one were just sitting all alone in line for 18 hrs he (they all seem like they are males) would begin to think he were being very foolish doing this

===================================
" Industry analysts debate whether Microsoft deliberately shipped an insufficient supply of XBoxes or whether this is a massive failure by the suppliers to the corporate behemoth to deliver the game consoles."
===================================
a well known tactic companies use to help generate waiting in line crowds to add to the publicity and create momentum of hype which further excites and compels many more to get with it and be hip and get the latest product, i have no doubt at all microsoft did this deliberately, the fewer there are at the beginning the more precious and valuable they appear to be

Mr. Schwartz said...

I remember running out to the stores when I was younger to be the first to purchase Atari 2600 titles for Space Invaders and Asteroids. I remember paying 60 bucks for them that and is in early 1980 dollars.

I bought one of the first Atari 5200's on the market also. Several 100s of dollars wasted but back then, I wanted to be the first and have the best.

So I kind of understand the frenzy but I don't think I would wait in really cold weather overnight for the games though.

The PS2 which my daughter has seems to be more than enough gaming that I could ever want.

Arnold said...

I can remember paying 100 for Pong back in 73 or 74

Everyone would come over to the house and we would play pong and drink all day

Today I just use my computer for games

Subcomandante Bob said...

My family had a Pong game about the same time, Arnold. My brother and I spent months squaring off against each other.

I once waited in line overnight for tickets to see Bruce Springsteen in 1984, Harry. Tickets went on sale in early March, and we camped out on the Detroit riverfront outside of Joe Louis Arena. It was in the 30s that night, and the wind blowing off the Detroit River was brutal.

But, tickets were obtained, and the mission was successful.

Hooda Thunkit said...

"Molly O'Donnell, a spokeswoman for Microsoft, told the Washington Post that the company had projected that it would sell 3 million Golden Calves in the first three months, and that it is still on track to hit that goal."