Dec 31, 2005

Dreary Weather, Buoyant Thoughts

Share

(Toledo, OH) Even on a gloomy, slushy Saturday morning, the fact that a new year is about to begin is not lost on me. I have always used this day as an opportunity to look ahead and imagine what might happen in the future.

There have been a few times in which cynicism dominated my thinking on New Year's Eve; 1998 was a particularly rough year, and I recall watching the ball fall in Times Square on a television at a party while I was in a serious funk. I remember thinking that I was looking down into a metaphorical abyss, and the worst was yet to come.

My outlook on life, however, got much better, and I can look back and see that even the darkest of days eventually give way to better fortunes. Some of the difficult challenges I faced ultimately prepared me for opportunities that later arose; of course, in those hours of despair I could not envision the possibilities that were just beyond the horizon.

My resolutions:
1. By June, to lose this 20 pounds that I have added in the past 5 years.
2. Exercise daily.
3. Increase my volunteer work.
4. Settle on my field of specialization in my doctoral work.

Wherever you are, and whatever your situation, I hope that 2006 is a happy, healthful, and prosperous year for you and your family.

16 comments:

Lisa Renee said...

The same to you Mike and to your family as well.

:-)

McCaskey said...

When was the last time we saw the sun around here? Two weeks ago? Maybe three? God awful.

McCaskey said...

HM, I don't know you personally, but you have a mighty fine blogsite that I check almost daily. Have a good 2006.

historymike said...

Happy New Year to you, Migueal, and your bood, Lisa!!

historymike said...

Agreed about the sun, McCaskey.

Thanks for the nice words bout my blog, too!

Car Loans Home said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about car loan denver
so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work!

Mr. Schwartz said...

I wish you well on your New Year's resolutions. I'm not exactly a Charles Atlas but I am not fat either. I ride a bicycle quite often, sometimes over 100 miles a week when I get the time and I find it really works.

I found keeping statistics on bicycling and walking helps keep me motivated via an Excel worksheet.

Anyhow, happy New Year to you and your readers.

Do said...

Happy New Year to ALL!

May we continue to be able to discuss and agree/disagree with mutual respect.

2006 is going to be Toledo's year!

M A F said...

Good luck Mike on your resolutions. I look forward to reading more from your blog. I can't wait to see your coverage of the mid-term elections.

Here is my New Year's Resolution.

historymike said...

Harry:

Thanks and Happy New Year to you, too. Good idea on the Excel sheet; a wise man once told me this maxim: "What gets measured gets treasured."

historymike said...

Do:

An excellent suggestion, and one I hope that Toledoans take to heart.

historymike said...

Mac:

Thanks, and I think your resolution is a thoghtful one!

Micah said...

Happy New Year!!

Hooda Thunkit said...

Mike,

A wonderful, happy and prosperous New Year to you and yours.

And success in your resolutions too!

valbee said...

Happy New Year, Mike!

BrianMaxson said...

Boy I don't miss that slush crap Mike has photographed. I got all clogged up and hoarse just by LOOKING at it.

I spent New Years morning at the beach watching the sun rise, drinking box fizzes and toasting english muffins.

And to think this is what I wished for every time my father would call me at 4 AM to cross town just to shovel out HIS driveway.

Here's to a happy and peaceful 2006, Mike. Enjoy.