Dec 28, 2005

Editorial: Back In The Race Again?

Share

Left: Toledo city council rep Bob McCloskey; photo courtesy of Toledo Free Press

(Toledo, OH) Toledo city council rep Bob McCloskey's on-again, off-again flirtation with running for council president has returned to the active mode. Matt Zapotosky of the Toledo Free Press has an interview with McCloskey in which he claims that fellow rep Frank Szollosi told him that the Toledo Blade would back off in its investigations and negative editorials if McCloskey supported Szollosi.

Szollosi categorically denies McCloskey's claims.

I have editorialized on McCloskey numerous times in the past (here, here, and here, for starters). In short, he is a microcosm of everything that is wrong with Toledo politics, and elevating McCloskey to the position of council president is an affront ot the voters of Toledo.

In addition, McCloskey is weighed down with numerous legal difficulties, including accusations that he attempted to extort a $100,000 "gift" from a firm doing business with the city.

Bob - do the right thing and remove yourself from the running. Toledo has enough problems without entertaining the thought of the ethically-challenged Bob McCloskey as city council president.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

mccloskey is a moron who is so stupid that he left his extortion demand on a voicemail.

Lisa Renee said...

QUICK! The Toledo Free Press should take him up on his offer to take a lie detector test.

Maybe they could let readers submit questions...This could be awesome...

:-)

Big Tex Cowboy said...

Lisa...I've already gone on live television and radio, challenging Bob to take a polygraph live on my radio show. I could get the Toledo police to set up a machine and conduct the test in our studio. I'm still waiting for Bob's response. I'll post it and broadcast it when I get it...

historymike said...

Hilarious, Lisa and Bob.

McCloskey, of course, has no intention of taking a lie detector test, but it's a great ploy.

Lisa Renee said...

I'm sorry I missed that Bob, now that I would love to see. Can I come down in studio if that happens? Please...pretty please?

:-)

valbee said...

LOL Lisa... when I read that line about the lie detector test I thought, "Sure, he'll offer to take one... because it'll NEVER happen!" Even if the TFP offered to set one up, I think he'd find a way to weasel out of it.

historymike said...

Agreed, valbee. This is likely just bluster on McCloskey's part.

Lisa Renee said...

Well now that the Blade has picked Frank as the only Democrat they want to see as Council President it is even more interesting.

:-)

M A F said...

Mike,

There was something about the chosen photograph of Mr. McClosky that reminds me of someone that I could not put my finger on til this moment.

When I look upon his face I can't help but be reminded of the immortal Mr. Magoo.

Anonymous said...

Yes, with glasses he could be Mr. Magoo.

At least, if Mr. Magoo were a brainless thug instead of a befuddled, loveable old coot.

liberal_dem said...

Lisa Renee

Well now that the Blade has picked Frank as the only Democrat they want to see as Council President it is even more interesting.

Tell me, Lisa, which Democrat do you think would be a better choice than Frank?

Hooda Thunkit said...

Mike,

"Bob - do the right thing and remove yourself from the running. Toledo has enough problems without entertaining the thought of the ethically-challenged Bob McCloskey as city council president."

My sentiments exactly.

Q. How DID you remove the booking numbers from the picture, PhotoShop?

That WAS a booking photo, wasn't it, or is that assumption just wishful thinking on my part?

;-)