Jan 3, 2006

CNN Announces Abramoff To Plead Guilty To Corruption, "Other Charges"

Share
(Toledo, OH) Jack Abramoff, a political operative with ties to Tom DeLay and plenty of other GOP leaders, is apparently going to take a deal with prosecutors. This was just announced on CNN moments ago; I have yet to find any links other than the CNN "Breaking News" banner.

I was surprised that Abramoff took the deal, although in retrospect I should have anticipated it. Abramoff is not an ideologue, and I am sure that he is first concerned about saving as much of his own skin as he can. He was, for all intents and purposes, thrown under the bus by the party he served for so many years.

Addendum: This now in from the New York Times:
Jack Abramoff will plead guilty to three felony counts in Washington on Wednesday as part of a settlement with federal prosecutors, ending an intense, months-long negotiation over whether the Republican lobbyist would testify against his former colleagues, people involved with the case said.

With Jack Abramoff's cooperation, the Justice Department will have a potentially critical witness to alleged patterns of corruption within the Republican leadership. Mr. Abramoff, 46, is pleading guilty to fraud, public corruption and tax evasion, setting the stage for prosecutors to begin using him as a cooperating witness against his former business and political colleagues. In exchange, Mr. Abramoff faces a maximum of about 10 years in prison in the Washington case.
A deal by Abramoff does not bode well for the GOP. He is the kind of connected political player who has likely has dirt on every person with whom he comes into contact.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abramoff is the consummate sleazebag. He will take two dozen people down with him.

Lisa Renee said...

I don't think he will bring anyone important down with him. A few will get "sacrificed" but the majority will more than likely get another free pass. Now it boils down to how good of deal will he get versus how many names he surrenders rather than out of any sense of wrong doing but to get as little jail time then probably hit the book promotion tour....



:-)

historymike said...

I guess time will tell, Lisa. You correctly note that how much Abramoff will sing is the real question.

Lisa Renee said...

I'm sorry Mike, I just don't have much faith in the whole system anymore. Now if Abramoff had magically woken up with a conscience and decided to tell all that would be one thing. But I've seen too many times when the plea deals are such jokes that I don't expect this one to be any different.

However? I'd love to be wrong on this one....

historymike said...

Oh, you cynical rascal, you!

:-}

Do you mean to tell me that the justice system in America is corrupt? Why, that sounds like the words of a dirty Communist!

Lisa Renee said...

Damn...outed again...

:-)

historymike said...

HA!

Hooda Thunkit said...

Mike,

"Abramoff is not an ideologue, and I am sure that he is first concerned about saving as much of his own skin as he can."

This does seem to be the motivating theme...

Hopefully, if crimes have occurred, the truth (and justice) will prevail.

This is yet another reason to ban political parties...

Stephanie said...

The sad thing is, he has little motivation to sing beyond what the GOP is willing to tolerate. The timeliness of this is that he could be through his legal process in time for Bush to give him a pardon before Bush is out. For a man like Abramoff, that would be reason enough to plead guilty and get out from under the spot light asap.

Stephanie said...

ht,

"This is yet another reason to ban political parties..."

That would be unConstitutional, and thus is very unlikely to ever occur.

There are other alternatives, however.

Hooda Thunkit said...

stephanie,

Are you, by any chance, in cahoots with Lisa?



I thought so... ;-)


I however, prefer very strict term limits.

Twice around the merry-go-round and yer outa there, with our thanks for your valiant service :-)

Stephanie said...

ht,

Darn...ya' caught me!

:-))

Though, it would probably be more accurate to say that Lisa is in cahoots with me, since I am a member of the VOID Board of Directors, whereas Lisa is our very much appreciated supporter.

Though, if it makes you feel any better the connection is this...

I met Lisa (and those whom I've partnered with in VOID) on Watchblog. That led me to Lisa's site. Which led me to this site. And would have led me to yours, except for that annoying exclusion of non-bloggers.

"I however, prefer very strict term limits."

I would agree to that easily enough...except for the simple fact that the majority of our "representatives" who could presumably vote for such a law are career politicians and would never actually vote for such a law. That's the point of VOID...in order to get constructive change, we've got to get the incumbents out of there!