Jan 23, 2006

Noted Author To Speak At UT

Share

(Toledo, OH) Author and historian Dr. Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz will speak at the University of Toledo On Thursday, January 26 at 7:30 PM. The lecture will take place in Rocket Hall, room 1520. Rocket Hall is part of the Southwest Academic complex, and can be accessed from Secor Road just north of Dorr Street.

Her most recent book, Blood on the Border: A Memoir of the Contra War was published in 2005. The book is equal parts historical and personal narratives; Dr. Dunbar-Ortiz made over 100 trips to Nicaragua and Hoduras between the years of 1981 and 1989.

Much of the work of Dr. Dunbar-Ortiz has revolved around issues regarding indigenous populations in the Americas.

I have just picked up a copy of the text, so I am not in a position to offer a review yet. However, the reviews on Amazon were quite favorable.

The event is free and open to the public, and is another presentation of UT's Engaged History lecture series.

3 comments:

liberal_dem said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I received an email about her lecture this morning.

Hooda Thunkit said...

So, you'll be covering this?

Sounds to me like you wouldn't miss it ;-)

historymike said...

I will be speaking with Dr. Dunbar-Ortiz beforehand, Hooda.

I have to simultaneously teach an online class while she gives her presentation, though; I may be able to work something out if I can get a decent wireless signal in Rocket Hall.