Jan 15, 2006

On Any Given Sunday

Left: Mike Vanderjagt watches his 46-yard attempt sail wide right, courtesy of NY Times

I thought that this would be the dream season for the Indianapolis Colts, particularly after their 13-0 start.

The Steelers, though took a commanding 14-0 lead in their playoff game today and held on for a 21-18 victory.

I am sure that the Colts wanted to win this game for coach Tony Dungy, whose family faced the tagedy of the suicide of son James Dungy last month. They were my sentimental favorites to win it all, but clearly the Colts could not decipher the Steeler Blitkrieg until it was too late.

Now I can cheer for Jerome Bettis - like me, a Detroiter by birth - and his quest to get a Super Bowl ring in what will likley be his last season in a Hall of Fame career.


Anonymous said...

I am sooooo depressed; I wanted the Colts to win.

Frank said...

great game - forgot I was watching pro's & I mean that in a good way. matched the drama of a classic college or high school game, which is rare, at least in my opinion, in the pro game.

historymike said...

Yes, very exciting game, Frank and anon.

I love games that go right down to the wire like that, although I was pulling for Indy.

Hooda Thunkit said...

For Indy, sometimes it takes more than sentiment ou your side...

Lisa Renee said...

I'm almost with you anon...not depressed because Indy isn't "my" team but disappointed...

(Not to mention I picked Indy to be one of the two teams in the Superbowl for the football pool I played this year...arggg)


valbee said...

Believe it or not, my son and I got into an argument about this today. :)

I have no particular favorite team, but I'm partial to the Steelers because they have an abundance of individual players that I really like (Big Ben, Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis and Troy Polamalu, to name just a few). I also like Peyton Manning a lot and the whole thing with Tony Dungy's son was absolutely heartwrenching.

But I'm glad the Steelers won for two reasons. 1) Jerome Bettis, if he doesn't come back next year, didn't deserve to have his career end that way. 2) There's not a doubt in my mind that the Colts will be back just as strong next year. When the Colts win the Super Bowl, I want them to feel as much joy as possible in their victory. Had they won it this year, it would have been tinged with a lot of sadness as well.

But that's me... and I freely admit I can be emotional about these things.

Anonymous said...

If the Steelers would have lost that game, it would have been highway robbery. honestly, some of the worst officiating I've ever seen in the history of the national football league. And I've seen a lot of that history.

Lisa Renee said...

Val, I like Big Ben, and Jerome Bettis, however I have a long history of not liking the Steelers.

The Steeler defense did very well today and Indy couldn't rise to the same level of play.

And yes anon, the officiating had some moments that made me cringe..I've seen more bad officiating this year than the past several years.

Dariush said...

I think the lesson is, you want to have a good regular season.

But not so good that come the last week of November you've got nothing to play for.

Manning can deny the "rust" factor all he wants to, but that first half their offense laid an egg and looked bad and out of sync doing it.

Mr. Schwartz said...

And the curse of them leaving Baltimore continues. I grew up going to Baltimore Colts games.

Did anyone see that NE player run down that guy who intercepted the ball for Denver... WOW, was that something or what?

Mr. Schwartz said...

I almost feel sorry for Toledo and the NFL. They either are Lions fans or Browns fans.

The last time the Lions was in the Super Bowl was ........

The last time the Browns was in the Super Bowl was ........

j/k of course. But you have had some crappy NFL teams near you

historymike said...

Yes, anon, the officiating was horrible in that game.

The Dungy family tragedy was indeed such a horrible thing, Lisa, especially so close to Christmas.

I was born in Detroit, Harry, so I will always be a Lions fan, but this town is split pretty evenly between two of the NFL's crappiest teams - the Lions and the Browns.

And that unbelievable effort by Ben Watson to run down Champ Bailey that you referenced was borderline inspirational, in my opinion. The guy had to run at least 85 yards from the other side of the field to make that play. Incredible, despite te Pats' eventual loss.

historymike said...

Agreed also about the rust factor, Dariush.

The Colts' offense looked awful until the last drive of the first half when they finally got on the board.

The off-field distractions and month-long semi-hiatus evidently took their tool.

Anonymous said...

Not only did you want the Colts to win, but I think the NFL did too. It would have made a great story.

I know that there are blown calls in every game. But in 27 years of watching football, I've never seen so many blown calls in one game. Nor have I ever seen all those calls go against one team.

In that game, we had a "do-over" when the Colts jumped off sides. There was the interception that wasn't. I expected the referee to tell us that he was going to give the ball back to the Colts because they were trying really hard.

I'm not big into conspiracy theories, but jeez! How bad can officiating be before it reeks of corruption.


historymike said...

I wondered the same thing, MeMyself&I.

The interception-that-wasn't call against Troy Polamalu was the worst, but Indy definitely got the benefit of all the questionable officiating.

The NFL just announced that the Polamalu call was a dud.

At least it didn't cost Pittsburgh the game.