Jan 11, 2006

Who Is Your Favorite Writer?


Left: Author Richard Brautigan, courtesy of www.brautigan.net

(Toledo, OH) With an idea nod to Dee Rimbaud at Stealing Heaven From The Lips Of God, this is a fun post in which readers list their favorite writer(s) as well as a short explanation of why someone else might like this author.

Feel free to also include a suggestion of where to start in that writer's body of work. This could be novelists, columnists, or even favorite bloggers.

The more obscure, the better; while I like some of the work of, say, Stephen King (especially the mournful Bag of Bones), I would probably not find many people who were unaware of his work.

I'll get it started with an author I recently got turned on to - Richard Brautigan (1935-84). Part poet, part novelist, and wholly idiosyncratic, his work defies easy categorization. He drifted between genres, ranging from humor to satire to odd, imaginative observations about the world around him. He died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound in 1984.

A good place to begin would be Trout Fishing in America, although there are several good anthologies of his poetry and short stories that are worth investigating.

Looking forward to seeing what you recommend!


Anonymous said...

Gotta go for Kurt Vonnegut. Favorite book - Breakfast of Champions.

Lisa Renee said...

Frank Yerby, The Foxes of Harrow.

I own most of his books, my grandmother had a few of them which got me started reading them. Foxes of Harrow was the first one I read.

His books are a blend of history, with a slight romance storyline.

Subcomandante Bob said...


$#@%!! Blogger!

I had a lengthy post, Lisa, that just got eaten. I'll re-respond tomorrow when I am: a) rested; and b) not pissed at Blogger.

Lisa Renee said...

See what happens when you try to read books Bob? I'd suggest cutting back on the vodka...



Stephanie said...

Favorite author...that's an evil question! Hmm. You didn't say it could only be one, but you did recommend obscure.

So, since my favorite author changes almost as frequently as my kids' favorite toy, here are two of my personal favs that are also obscure.

H. Beam Piper. Start with Little Fuzzy. While a popular author in his time (60's), he's been pretty much forgotten about within the contemporary Sci-Fi genre.

And, more currently:
Juliet Marillier. She's an Ausi who, oddly enough, wrote a trilogy rich in Celtic mythology, called the Sevenwaters Trilogy. Start with Daughter of the Forest. Or, if you prefer Norse mythology, go with Wolfskin.

michael the tubthumper said...

james kelman. although, being a scot its easier for me as it is written in quite broad dialect.

best book - a disaffection

historymike said...

Great suggestions! With the exception of Frank Yerby's Dahomean, I have never read any of these books or authors.

Timothy said...

anonymous beat me to the punch with Kurt Vonnegut, so I'll go with H.P. Lovecraft, my favorite author when I was in my 20s. Many of his stories are short, but I'd recommend either The Rats in the Walls or The Shadow Over Innsmouth as good starting points. Luckily someone has posted his stores online.


historymike said...

My favorite Vonnegut - Galapagos.

Do said...

For past authors - anything by James Michener. He's colorful, detail oriented and draws you in to every storyline.

For the present - Toni Morrison. Read Black and Blue if you want a eye-opening look into domestic violence.