Feb 6, 2006

B-b-b-best Songs With Stuttering


(Toledo, OH) All of us at some time or another have found ourselves tongue-tied, stammering, or stuttering. This post in no way seeks to mock speech impediments, but rather embraces them as a natural phenomena.

I noticed Tim Kaine, Governor of Virginia, exhibit a slight stutter during his Democratic response to President Bush's State of the Union address; in all likelihood, however, this was just a well-rehearsed, intentional stammering to appear earnest.

The use of stuttering in pop music can be a subtle way to communicate fear, excitement, or even insanity. With that, here is my top ten list of the greatest stutters in pop music:

10. "Birthday," by The Beatles: "Birthday, I would like you to dance. Birthday, take a ch-ch-ch-chance..."

9. "My Sharona," by The Knack: "M-m-m-m-m-m-my Sharona!"

8. "Changes," by David Bowie: "Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes..."

7. "Jive Talkin'" by the Bee Gees: "J-j-j-jive talkin'..."

6. "Bad to the Bone," by George Thorogood and the Destroyers: "B-b-b-b-b-bad...."

5. "Bennie and the Jets," by Elton John: "B-b-b-b-b-b-b-bennie and the Jetssssss..."

4. "Back in the USSR," by The Beatles: "that Georgia's always on my ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-mind."

3. ""Psycho Killer" by the Talking Heads: "Psycho killer
Qu’est que c’est Fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better Run run run run run run run away..." Pretty creepy lyrics and projection by David Byrne.

2. "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet," by Bachman Turner Overdrive: "You ain't seen nothin' yet, B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't seen n-n-n-n-n-n-nothin' yet..." Randy Bachman originally wrote this song as a joke for his brother Gary, who had a speech impediment. This one "accidentally" went to the top of the pop charts in 1974.

1. "My Generation," by The Who: "Why dontcha all f-f-f-f-fade away? Don't try and dig what we all s-s-s-say. I'm not tryin' to cause a b-b-big sensation - I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-g-g-eneration." The stuttering in this song was a deliberate attempt by Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend to capture the amphetamine-induced, hyperactive, pill-popping Mod of the mid-1960s, and is, in my book, the ultimate in pop stuttering.

Now, what songs do YOU feel should have made this list? Don't say Eddie Money's "Sh-sh-sh-she Was Shaking," or I will throw a virtual brick at you for suggesting this talentless lout, who is an abomination and who will be the first one lined up and shot when the revolution comes.


Lisa Renee said...

Bob Seeger...Katmandu

Phil Collins..Susudio

Bee-Gees...Jive Talking

I know there has to be more of them maybe Lola

Oh...La Bamba!


KraZyKaT said...

A few mo-mo-mo-more:

"I Wanna Be Sedated" by The Ramones -
I can't control my fingers I can't control my toes
Oh no no no no no
Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go...
Just put me in a wheelchair...
Ba-ba-bamp-ba ba-ba-ba-bamp-ba I wanna be sedated
Ba-ba-bamp-ba ba-ba-ba-bamp-ba I wanna be sedated
Ba-ba-bamp-ba ba-ba-ba-bamp-ba I wanna be sedated
Ba-ba-bamp-ba ba-ba-ba-bamp-ba I wanna be sedated

Foolin' by Def Leppard - Fo, Fo, Fo, Fo, Fo Foolin

Lola - Kinks-la la la la lola, lo lo lo lo lola

Temptation Eyes - Grass Roots has a line "Temptation eyes,-looking through my my my soul

The Reflex by Duran Duran -
"The Reflex, fle-fle-fle-fle-flex."
"So, why-i-i-i-i don't you use it?
Try-i-i-i-i not to bruise it;
Buy-i-i-i-i time don't lose it

Love You Like A Ball And Chain by the Eurythmics -
" i love youuu...mmmm i love youuu
jus' like a little ball and ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ...chain chain chain..."

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet by Bachman Turner Overdrive -
You ain't seen nothin' yet
B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't seen nothin' yet
Here's something that you never gonna forget
B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't seen nothin' yet

White Mormon Patriot said...

How about this one by the Rolling Stones:

Ti-i-i-i-ime is on my side,
yes it is

Do you remember the country singer Mel Tillis? Supposedly, he stuttered badly, except when he sang. He never stuttered during a song. Amazing

M A F said...

Mike, I am suprised! Eddie Money shot? I mean come on...aren't you being just a wee bit harsh? "Shakin" wasn't that bad

I have to say that I found the BTO rather an interesting bit of trivia.

Maybe not the best song, I was thinking Billy Idol's Rebel Yell, but I guess the lyrics are to Mony Mony (thanks krazykat for teh inspiration).

I love you mony mo-mo-mony sure I do
I love you mony mo-mo-mony sure I do

The Kinks, Lola
lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola, lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola

AC/DC Back in Black
Well, I'm baaack... (I'm back!)
Baaack... (Well, I'm back!)
Baaack... (I'm back!)

Dariush said...


This is off topic, but I really wish you'd fix the blog.

Half the time when I come here, your posts are just simply not visible. Everything else is there, your links, the stuff at the top of the page, etc. but not your posts. Refreshing doesn't always help, either.

Maybe, it's just me, but I haven't come across any other blogs where I see the same thing happening.

historymike said...

Welcome to Blogger, Dariush.

I am investigating moving the site to another host. There have been too many outtages and glitches with Blogger (4 outtages in the last 6 days!), and many Blogger users are fed up.

historymike said...

Did not know that, alaskawingnut.

And Mac - I had to sit through several Eddie Money shows (he always seemed to be opening for someone else I wanted to see), and I have to say he is just about the worst performer in rock history. He can't sing, can't dance, and has almost no redeeming qualities.

Jason Sonenshein said...

How about Porky Pig's rendition of Blue Christmas?

William said...

Great list!

How about Chain-chain-chain of Fools? Or She’s So C-C-Cold by the Stones? Or Barbaranne by the Beach Boys?

Will Kimlinger

scintilla72 said...

I am appalled at the conspicuous absence of Billy Joel's "Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)":

"Working too hard can give you a heart attack ack ack ack ack ack..."

Anonymous said...

Fidelity by Regina Spektor

"It breaks h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-heart"

Anonymous said...

My vote for best stutter song of all time is Nervous by Willie Dixon.

Anonymous said...

I' Rather Go To Jail - by Mitch Ryder. Check it out....