Feb 16, 2006

Brrreeeport : Observations On A Web Phenomena

Share

Left: Brrreeeport photo courtesy of Flickr.com

(Toledo, OH) The would-be scientist in me loves to quantify and classify results, and I am jotting down a few obsevations about the brrreeeport experiment in which I have been participating; you can visit this site to learn more of the history of Brrreeeport.

Here, then, is what I have observed so far:

1. A "brrreeeport" Technorati tag alone drove about 10 visitors to my site in five hours.
2. By adding a "brrreeeport" post, I saw about 150 unique visitors in 4 hours.
3. The post and tag combination seemed important, as I got most of my tag hits after the brrreeeport post went up.
4. Brrreeeport visitors tended to be of a short-lived (i.e., less than 20 seconds per visit) variety.
5. Adding high-profile search terms, like "Dick Cheney" and "Paris Hilton," seemed to increase the hits by about 10%.
6. My brrreeeport post sent my site to the top of the Technorati search and tag pages for about 40 minutes, until more posters with new posts bumped me out. One could probably milk the brrreeeport post technique several times a day right now and get 1000 visitors or more a day; that is, while this metaphorical iron is still hot.

7 comments:

Name withheld to protect the guilty said...

That's hilarious! I think I have to join in. The cynical side of me wonders what words might give you the most hits--would it be Pam Anderson, or some racial slur?

But were you in on the trend about a month ago to link to the best blonde joke ever?

historymike said...

Also, my rating on Blogtop Sites went from #9 to # 5 in five hours. The highest this site has been rated is 8 before the brrreeeport experiment.

historymike said...

Wow, too funny, nwtptg!

Adding "Dick Cheney" and "Paris Hilton" seemed to add to the brrreeeeport effect, but only a small amount.

Name withheld to protect the guilty said...

Somebody has already registered www.brrreeeport.com. Didn't take long, did it?

liberal_dem said...

Mike-

Congratulations on being selected by Ch 36 as one of two local bloggers in their report. Your hard work and the variety of topics as well as your courage to bring 'hard' topics to the attention of the citizens of Toledo is worthy of recognition.

KraZyKaT said...

here is my contribution to the Brrreeeport experiment. I hope this does not put me in a pickle!

Pickles in Politics

historymike said...

I am interested in hearing how your experiment turned out, krazykat.