Feb 7, 2006

First Lady Of Secor Road

Photo by historymike

(Toledo, OH) Every regular traveler on Secor Road knows of the black dog that patiently sits in front of Sweeper World, located near Monroe Street.

Not many people, however, know the pooch's story.

Her name is Daisy, and she is a 10-year old black chow. Owner Dennis Gillen says that the well-behaved dog is self-taught.

"I used to bring her to work with me, and one day I left the door open because it was hot," he said. "Daisy just ambled out and sat down, and now prefers to sit outside and watch the world go by."
Left: Owner Dennis Gillen and Daisy, in front of Sweeper World

Gillen said that Daisy does have one distraction - squirrels.

"We don't get many squirrels on Secor, but she will chase them away if she sees them," he said. "One day she sat under a pole for two hours watching one."

Gillen said that motorists used to phone in calls to the police about dead or runaway dogs.

"Everyone at the dispatch knows Daisy now," he said. "Now the only calls that come in are from people wondering why they didn't see Daisy that day."

Daisy, according to Gillen, is the perfect business ambassador.

"She loves everybody, and people go out of their way to pet her," he said. "Many times people have stopped by to say 'hi' to Daisy, and then come into the store to buy something."

Several callers to Sweeper World this week noted Daisy's new attire - yellow ribbons.

"You know that she is a lady because she loves the beauty salon so much," quipped Gillen.

Yeah, this post is a rerun, but this is a really cool dog. Sue me. :-}


Anonymous said...

I've seen her numerous of times as I drove on Secor Road and wondered myself the same thing as "What is the dog doing there?" while thinking the dog is lost. Thanks for such a great story on this and I'm glad to know this now.

historymike said...

This is the kind of story I really love to write, anonymous.

No one makes death threats against you, no one curses you, no one posts libelous articles, and everyone is happy.

And I enjoy demystifying some of the everyday sorts of puzzles we encounter. Maybe I should apply for Andy Rooney's job...

Ptelea said...

I have to admit, I am a sucker for businesses that have dogs or cats 'in residence' I automatically feel that I can relate to the business owners, managers, or employees. Maybe because people let their guard down around pets.

very nice story

Lloyd said...

This dog seems to be great advertising!

I met Daisy today when I stopped by to get my mom's vacuum fixed. She has a couple of chow mixes and I was surprised how mild mannered Daisy is.

Two updates:

1. Daisy has her hair cut short now. It appears to be natural in your picture.

2. The Toledo Blade picked up on your story: