Feb 16, 2006

Horse Tail Thieves Lurking In Area

Share
(Toledo, OH) WNWO has been covering this odd story of some idiots who have been clipping the tails and manes from area horses. This type of hair apparently commands high prices on eBay, with longer tails garnering up to $100 apiece.

The hair seems to be highly prized among some makers of crafts and jewelry. Two ounces of horse hair at this eBay seller's site has a stock price of $16.50.

To date, the horse tail thieves have struck in Monroe County, MI and Delta, OH.

True justice would be for these creeps to get an old fashioned whooping, but I think an appropriate punishment might be to tie the arms of the thieves behind their backs and stick them in a corral with thousands of horse flies.

Then we could watch them dance around in misery, just like the shorn horses will this summer when they have no tails.

12 comments:

Mrs. Phoenix said...

that is so nasty :(

historymike said...

I agree, Mrs. Phoenix. Some sick SOBs.

Stefan Schmidt said...

How many horses have they assaulted?

At $40-100 per tail this scheme does not sound very lucrative.

historymike said...

There have been about a dozen known cases so far, Stefan, all in the last two weeks.

Stephanie said...

I didn't realize you were one to advocate for cruel and unusual punishments, Mike. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Stephanie said...

Uh, Mike...speaking of lurking...I just got an e-mail saying the e-mail I sent you has been delayed, but I didn't send you an e-mail. How worried about this should I be?

Do said...

I do believe I would be forced to 'cut' something from the perps of this travesty! Perhaps something that they might need later in life...

Once caught, the perfect sentence would be to turn them over to the owners of the animals to be dealt with as the owners see fit. No questions asked. Horse owners are great people and typically are strong advocates for animal safety.

historymike said...

Stephanie:

I think that was generated by Blogger - there have been some delays in comments going through the email notification process.

They send out some weird email telling you this. I wouldn't worry.

Stephanie said...

Okay. Just note that if you get some weird e-mail (such as the likes of the ones you were accused of sending somebody) it wasn't really from me. That's the kind of thing I was worried about. I don't have any idea how easy/difficult it would be for someone to break into my e-mail account to do something nasty. But your explanation does make sense and provides relief from that concern, thank you.

Anonymous said...

I think there is one of those hanging in my office on a colleague's (and I use that word loosely) cubicle.

Hooda Thunkit said...

I'm puzzled (again).

Don't these tails usually grow back?

I know how cruel it is to cut the tail, especially during fly season, but doesn't the tail eventually grow back?

Sevcat said...

This just happened to my mare and several other horses in the area this month. Be on guard if you live anywhere near Green Lake County Wisconsin!!