Mar 24, 2006

Double Amputee to Scale Everest

A mountaineer from New Zealand - who lost both of his legs to exposure after two weeks in a 1982 blizzard - will begin a quest on Saturday to become the first double amputee to climb Mount Everest.

Mark Inglis said that he will begin his ascent from the Tibetan side of the mountain, and he hopes to be at the base camp by the end of the first week of April.

"The reason I have waited until now is because I wanted to be confident enough to climb in my own right. No one is going to drag my sorry backside up there," Inglis said. "Well, I'm a Kiwi and we've got Sir Ed (Edmund Hillary) so it's literally been a dream since I was a boy."

Inglis will be wearing a pair of carbon fiber legs equipped with climbing crampons, and jokes that frostbite will no longer be a problem.

The intrepid adventurer will be keeping a diary at

If you ever hear me whine about the flu or my aching lower lumbar region, give me a virtual smack in the head. I am humbled by the courage and dedication of Mark Inglis.


Anonymous said...

Absolutely incredible.

historymike said...

Yep. I was inspired by this story, and any publicity I can send this man's way will help some good charities.

Anonymous said...

This is the best story I have read in a long time, and the man has such a great sense of humor.