Apr 17, 2006

Bronchitis Sucks

Share

(Toledo, OH) Being waylaid with a sinus infection that has morphed into a nasty case of bronchitis, I apologize for the dearth of posts in the past 24 hours.

After a trip to the physician's office and some powerful antibiotics I hope to be back in the saddle in the next day.

What really sucks is that a producer for Anderson Cooper 360 called and wanted me to do an interview on the Father Gerald Robinson murder trial. I am hacking up so much phlegm that I had to pass; I can't go more than a sentence without wheezing and sounding like death on two legs.

I did give them some numbers of more talented local people than I to do the segment, plus I gave them some background info to understand the story better.

What this means is not that I am particularly noteworthy as a commentator - egads - but rather that having a Web presence is an excellent way to make connections that would otherwise be out of reach to a freelance writer.

Ah well - I'll make sure not to be sick the next time Toledo hosts a media extravaganza like this trial.

Besides, Michael Miller of the Free Press would kick my ass if I went on CNN tonight after I failed to meet a deadline for TFP today.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get well soon!

Brian said...

I also look forward to your speedy recovery.

Missed you at the Free Press Opening Day party. It was a great time!

Michael said...

Mike,
Bummer on missing out on being on AC 360. Hope you are feeling better. Good thing you don't have tendonitis of the fingers!

But, then you'd be video blogging, right?
Mike

Stephanie said...

I hope you get well soon (at the very least faster than I have, since I'm still recovering). And I hope you dropped Lisa's name.

Lisa Renee said...

No...Lisa is not a journalist so she will never be on CNN.

I hope you feel better, I'm not feeling well either but mines not something an antibiotic can fix.

:-)

historymike said...

Lisa IS a journalist, but she is not participating in the Fr. Gerald Robinson circus.

:-}

Lisa Renee said...

No...Lisa is not a journalist. I'm a blogger who does a column on blogging now if I ever get paid to write? Then I might have to re-think my whole I am not a journalist.

:-)

I am following the case rather closely but since I am not a journalist I can't have access. Else I would be trying to figure out a way to be there. It is one of those times I really wish I was a journalist.

Anyway, I hope you feel better and I'm sorry you missed a chance to go on CNN, hopefully another one will come soon.

Michael said...

Not to continue this off-topic discussion, but some would call Lisa a journalist. Just she's not in the traditional sense.

Anyone who blogs can "journal" events, people, voice opinion, etc.

Being in public relations, I know a lot of companies are looking to bloggers in the same sense as they are traditional media.

Lisa does make an excellent point that she's not paid (not even by the TFP?). Most bloggers who blog blog because they want to, not because it's their job.

Still hoping you are feeling better, Mike.
-- Mike

Hooda Thunkit said...

I hope you're feeling better soon Mike.

Lisa,
Others have called you a journalist, so it must be true.

I never doubted it really.

Now, if I could figure out how you read all of those blogs, contribute to all of those sites, and blog as prolifically as you do...

Are you SuperWoman in disguise???

;-)

Lisa Renee said...

lmao HT, no I am not superwoman in disguise.

I haven't gotten paid for anything I've written as far as newspapers which is why I don't claim to be a journalist.

I am a published author and I have sold a few copies of my book and a few t-shirts here and there, enough to tease historymike about making more than he has done with Adsense but that's more of a sales for an actual product rather than being paid for what I blog about.

I'm proud of my book, and I'm proud of being a blogger. If the day ever comes where I start actually earning money for what I write then I'll have to say..okay I am a journalist.

I realize people use the "citizen journalist" thing but that is not the same as being a professional journalist which I am no where close to. I'm a blogger who types very very fast and while I would love to be a journalist some day (who wouldn't want to be paid for something they love doing) I'm not there yet.

Historymike is a journalist and a very good one.

:-)

Stephanie said...

What is TFP?

My take: Lisa is a journalist, because she actually leaves her home to cover the news.

Not all journalists get paid. In fact, journalists usually start out writing stories they don't get paid for to build up their portfolios.