Apr 14, 2006

The Collective Imbecility of Google, Part II

Share
(Toledo, OH) Within hours of being declared inelligible to run Google AdSense posts, Google subsidiary Blogger suddenly added a mandatory word-verification feature to my blog posts.

Here are their stated reasons for adding this feature to my account:

Blogger's spam-prevention robots have detected that your blog has characteristics of a spam blog. (What's a spam blog?) Since you're an actual person reading this, your blog is probably not a spam blog. Automated spam detection is inherently fuzzy, and we sincerely apologize for this false positive.

Before we can turn off mandatory word verification on your posts we'll need to have a human review your blog and verify that it is not a spam blog. Please fill out the form below to get a review.


Coincidence? I think not. The virtual Google bastards simply notified their ether undelings at Blogger that mine was a "suspicious" blog.

Dear Google and Blogger: I am a real, live, and pissed-off blogger who writes about things that interest him.

And right now what interests me is the colossal, programmed imbecility manifested in the corporate mentalité of Google-Blogger. Fix this, and fix it now, nimrods, or I shall be forced to compose daily blog posts reaching the entire blogosphere detailing the boundless ineptitude with which the entities headquartered at Mountain View, CA operate.

6 comments:

Anchorage Activist said...

If it's not a coincidence, then it's an example of corporate censorship and retaliation. Corporations and the Pentagon are all trying to bring the Web under firmer control.

However, it might actually be coincidence. I got a similar message after the first 20 posts on my blog. I followed their instructions and within a day, they turned off word verification and apologized. Their main objective is to combat the robotic Spam crawlers. Those who post at least once per day are more likely to be flagged than someone like Nikki, who only posts 2-3 times per week.

I also don't think it's necessary political. You blog from the left, I blog from the right, but we've both been "flagged".

Try not to let your spaghetti boil over on this issue. I'd hate to see you knocked off the air.

Lisa Renee said...

It's probably more related to your use of the technorati search term posts earlier in the week that set off the "spam detection" and could have very well had something to do with the whole adsense thing.

The timing is about right.

As an OT by the way...did you see my blog it column this week? You might like it...

:-)

historymike said...

YEs, muchas gracias for the plug for the lit experiment site. Traffic picked up mightily, although there have been no new contributors signed up.

Lisa Renee said...

Hopefully a few of the lurkers will decide to join in.

:-)

Even though I crack up every time I see the name selected...

Stephanie said...

I thought there was something strange about this blog! Now I know! It's all computer generated chaos that my brain force into something coherent and all you're really trying to do is make me buy something! Ahah! Ah, um...

Whew! The paranoia's gone now; I feel better.

(Were you really a spammer, wouldn't you know how to generate clicks on AdSense without getting caught?)

Sorry, they're giving you so much trouble, Mike, but I do notice there's no word indentification thing here. Or, is that perhaps just for you?

Hooda Thunkit said...

Just randomizing the dwell time and the click interval of a click bot will fool most detection systems.

Not that I had ever done anything like that; But, I hear things, people TALK to me...


Google isn't out to get you Mike, but they want you to think that they are ;-)