Apr 12, 2006

Google AdSense - Kiss My Fat Ass

Share
(Toledo, OH) My short-lived experiment with Google ads on this site has ended; the thieving scoundrels in Mountain View, CA have decided to pull the plug on my account:

It has come to our attention that invalid clicks have been generated on the Google ads on your site(s). We have therefore disabled your Google AdSense account.

I am assuming that the decision to kill my account was based on this post, in which I subtly suggested that readers might want to say "hello" to my advertisers. From my perspective this was not an inducement to artificially inflate clicks.

Not only have they unilaterally chosen to delist me as a site eligible to run their ads, but they have also notified me that the "earnings on your account will be properly returned to the affected advertisers."

Uh, Google? You never sent me a check. Also, you can take the $11 or so in commissions that I earned for a month's activity and stick it up your virtual ass.

I will be watching to see if - as some sites have claimed - your vindictiveness carries over to my page rank. Be assured that I will make it my personal goal to expose any corporate retribution on your part.

By the way - this gives me the opportunity to sell my own ad space, so if you are interested in advertising on this site, feel free to contact me at my email address.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa - how do you REALLY feel, Mike?

George Nemeth said...

Same thing happened to me. Let me know when you're ready to set it up. I installed an ad server that you use...

Stephanie said...

Note to self: Google AdSense definitely not worth it.

Sorry you didn't have better luck, Mike!

Lloyd said...

Time to go to myspace, lol

Lloyd said...

I actually tried the other end of adwords (being an advertiser) and couldn't help but think that Google has some kid in a cubicle clicking on the ads to generate acivity and revenue for Google.

Do you think that happens or am I being paranoid?

Jim Kukral said...

Not worth it? Seriously, I know people who make $1k - $10k a week or more just from Adsense, and they're not spammers or anything like that. They simply run community based websites with lots of users.

Don't F with Google, you found out how serious they are. But also don't disregard them. You can make a lot of money from them if you know how to do it.

Lisa Renee said...

A publisher's site may not have invalid clicks on any ad(s), including but not limited to clicks generated by:

- a publisher on his own web pages
- a publisher encouraging others to click on his ads
- automated clicking programs or any other deceptive software
- a publisher altering any portion of the ad code or changing the layout, behavior, targeting, or delivery of ads for any reason

Visit here

Sounds like it happens alot, the link might interest you.

Dariush said...

"invalid clicks?"

What does that even mean? What distinguishes an "invalid" click from a "valid" one?

-Sepp said...

-From the google site's faq about "invalid clicks"...

"In addition to our automated system, we have a team dedicated to detecting invalid activity"

I wonder if the team is the "Top men" that are handling the arc from Indiana Jones?

In their TOS agreement, they pretty much spell it out that they can screw you at their pleasure without ever giving a reason.

Unit 9 said...

Wouldn't surprise me if the racists were behind this by doing the click fraud themselves knowing you would be the one busted.

Dariush said...

"click fraud"

And again I have to ask, what does this even mean?

How can a click be "fake", "fraudulent" or "invalid"? It's just a damn click. Either someone left-clicks on an ad, or they don't. What other option is there?

Hooda Thunkit said...

dariush,

Those "terms" are variously used to describe clicks generated with no attempt to read the ad the click produces.

I.e., clicking to increase your profit, not theirs.