Apr 9, 2006

On Insomnia

Share
(Toledo, OH) Those who know me, or who have followed my writing for some period of time, are aware of my occasional difficulty in falling asleep or staying asleep.

Tonight is one of those nights.

My last caffeine consumption occurred ten hours ago, so I can rule that out as a contributing factor. My stress levels are fairly low, as I enjoyed a day of putzing around the house and working on a variety of writing projects.

One of my old stand-by techniques - eating an item high in sugar - failed to give me the expected rush-crash cycle for which I hoped.

I am also avoiding the easy temptation of the bottle of NyQuil in my cupboard. While momentarily effective, I tend to be groggy for hours after I wake up from my Green Coma.

No, not even cranking out a thousand words on my thesis worked tonight.

There is a dog barking outside tonight, the only nearby citizen joining me in fitful rest. He seems half-hearted in his canine commentary, as if going through the motions of earning his keep; his is definitely not the bark associated with strangers walking outside or wayward opossums.

The sound of a muffler-less motorist keeps rumbling through my neighborhood now. He is not close enough for me to look at out the window, even if I were motivated enough to be curious.

Besides, it is not as if my sleep is being disturbed.

There is a moment each night when insomniacs realize that sleep cannot be coerced by any means to arrive, and that they may as well do something more constructive than toss in bed.

So I shall surf the Net, looking for some unusual story to read, and try again about 3:30 am to see if the gods of sleep have finished toying with me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the insomnia, Mike. I had to go to Ambien to break my spell of sleeplessness.

McCaskey said...

Ah, HM, I can identify with all this. Friday night I was awake all night, finally got to sleep around 7 a.m. Then, of course, the phone starts ringing with kids' friends calling, etc. I got maybe 3-4 hours tops Sat. a.m. However, last night, with some help from Tylenol PM, I went pretty much from midnight to an about an hour ago, so I feel much better.

Anyone else out there with suggestions, remedies, etc.??? I know, a trip to my physician is in order, I just hate to go to the doctor, but I guess that's where I'm at.

George Nemeth said...

Happens to me sometimes too, so I feel for you.

Anonymous said...

Here is an exercise that can help you. Lie down and lightly shut both eyes;think of the tip of your toes and let your sight slowly inch its way up your legs,upper torso and reach the nostrils.Repeat the motion lying absolutely still. What in fact happens is that the eyeballs roll as you mentally gaze your body from toe to the tip of the nose. In a few minutes you could be asleep.

This is an yogic exercise prescribed for insomnia resulting from heightened cerebral activity.

If the condition has to do with something more fundamental,there are a whole lot of other ways of dealing with the problem in India.

One of the most effective ways is the application of oil diced with certain herbs before a bath.

Joseph

Hooda Thunkit said...

Ah Mike, something is bugging you.

You will probably have 2 days of bad/no sleep followed by 2-4 days of resetting your internal clock.

After that, you'll be ready for another bout ;-)

Seriously, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy (or, your's either, for that matter).

Stephanie said...

Personally I rather like insomnia... But, hey, I'm weird.