Apr 5, 2006

Rapid Rhetoric: AZERTY

This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

azerty or AZERTY adj. - Having a European typewriter keyboard layout: using the commonest type of computer or typewriter keyboard layout in continental Europe, where the top row of letters, beginning from the left, are A, Z, E, R, T, Y. See also qwerty.

French keyboards swap the "Q" and "W" with "A" and "Z", and move "M" to the right of "L." Italian typewriter keyboards sometimes use a QZERTY layout where "Z" is swapped with "W" and "M" is at the right of "L". German keyboards add the umlaut symbol to the right of "P" and "L", and switch the "Z" and "Y" keys both because "Z" is a more common letter than "Y" in Germanic languages.


BrianMaxson said...

They also do not use the "$" sign, but use the insignia that represents "pounds sterling" in it's place.

Name withheld to protect the guilty said...

Don't forget about the original US keyboards that didn't have a one; you were supposed to use lower case L instead.

Hooda Thunkit said...

This only a problem for touch typists, unlike me and the girls (a huntin pecker) downtown.

I think that they should ship all keyboards mapped alphabetically and with the key caps in a bag. You could then map your keyboard any way you desire and save the mapping to a file for future use.

Quickly, 3 or 4 hundred keymaps would pop-up on the Net and ~ 1% would ever meet with mass use.