Apr 17, 2006

Rapid Rhetoric: ZARF

This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

zarf, n. In the Middle East coffee is often consumed with handleless cups, while tea is sipped in handleless glasses. A zarf is a decorative holder, usually made from metal, with a handle that prevents the hot cup or glass from burning fingers. Some zarfs also have no handles, such as the insulation jackets that hold glasses to keep their contents cold. Zarfs are generally highly ornamented; the term is derived from the Arabic word that roughly translates as "saucer."


M A F said...

Mike, your "irregular feature" is becoming all to regular...

Hooda Thunkit said...

I LIKE it!

Keep 'em coming ;-)