Apr 24, 2006

Rapid Rhetoric: ZOANTHROPY

Share
This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

zoanthropy n. delusion of a person who believes himself changed into an animal. It is related to the mythical condition of lycanthropy, a supernatural affliction in which people are said to physically shapeshift into werewolves.

Clinical lycanthropy is a rare condition, and it is considered to be an expression of a psychotic episode caused by another condition such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or clinical depression.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Zoanthropy...so that's what it's called when my son decides he has to walk around on all four limbs in my flip-flops because he's now a lion...see, and I thought it was just a sign of a good imagination!
:-)