Apr 9, 2006

Seeking Opinions on Blog Advertising

(Toledo, OH) I am curious as to what readers of this site think about my entry into semi-commercial status. I recently have been toying with the Google AdSense program in the hopes that I might generate income from my passion for blogging.

The AdSense terms of agreement supposedly forbid me from disclosing specifics about the program, in which site publishers get paid when visitors click on ads. However, I will say that it is a good thing I have not decided to quit any of my four jobs, but then again I have only been in the program a few weeks.

Note: the previous statement should not be construed as an inducement to click on ads. Ahem.

Anyways, do you find the ads distracting? Are you more likely, less likely, or unchanged in your willingness to visit this site now that it has ads?

For the purists: are Google ads a blemish on blogs, a sort of breach of the unwritten traditions of the blogosphere?

Thanks for any input you might want to leave.


Petrograde said...

Those stupid ads are everywhere. I don't even pay attention to them anymore.

Brian J Dawson said...

Hi Mike,
Hey I am an "author" in my mind but the publishing industry does not yet know I am one! :) Anyway why shouldn't you make some money for your work? Hey Ralph Nader refused to diviluge his tax returns saying it was a sacred trust between himself and the IRS. Yada Yada.(Ralph say it isn't so). In a way I don't blame him. We all have to pay our bills Mike and everyone who writes books wants their royality.
Ever noticed that even the spirtualist who get "channeled" info from the other world don't send the royalties to the other world?
GO FOR IT DUDE! True sometimes the ads may be inconsistent with the blogger's philosophy. Hey but thats the good ole American Way to make a buck. EVERY author liberal or conservative wants to get some payment and it does not subtract from their commitment to their philosphy. I hope you make a bundle!

Dariush said...

Ads are fine, as long they're not belligerent or annoying.

I'm thinking of pop-ups ... or the even more annoying ones that wait for you to move your cursor over them and BAM... cover the whole screen with their garbage.

Google Ads seem to be the least annoying and intrusive of the bunch.

Peahippo said...

Ads on your site? What ads? I didn't see any ads.

(I use Opera for popup blocking, and a few other minor utilities for blocking ad graphics. Perhaps the ads you're referring to have been wiped away by these anti-ad mechanisms.)

Hooda Thunkit said...


Seriously though my son gets pocket money each month from ads on his blog...

I however can't conceive of that kind of coin as being pocket money. A salary, yes, pocket money, never.

Stephanie said...

I don't find the ads distracting, but I do ignore them completely. This would be true no matter how noisy the ad was, I just don't like ads.