May 31, 2006

New Family Member

(Toledo, OH) To your left is Jimmy, a 6-year old Sheltie that we adopted today from the Toledo Humane Society. He stands only about 18" tall, and weighs about 20 pounds.

He is very friendly and seems to fit right in at our busy house.

The kids are not enamored with the name "Jimmy," so we may end up calling him something else in the future.

The good news is that he is already housebroken, and knows quite a few commands. His previous owners had to move and could not bring him with them.

Everyone seems to love him, although my youngest son seemed to think this was too soon after the death of our old Labrador, Hershey. I am sure he will come around in the next few days.


valbee said...

Awww... he's a handsome little guy! Congrats on your new addition to the family!

I still want to get a dog one of these days, but I can't risk the "behavioral" issues it would undoubtedly cause with my orange tabby.

historymike said...

This little dog, I am told, loves cats. He didn't bark today at the Humane Society when cats were prowling around waiting to be adopted.

Lisa Renee said...

Congrats on your new family member and his already being Housebroken is a plus. Having recently went thru that fun.

It's going to be kind of hard to change his name though, the kids may have to adjust to Jimmy.


Jimmy Carter was my favorite president....

Do said...

Good for you and yours!!! And GREAT for Jimmy!

Your kids will learn that Jimmy is acceptable. LOL Better than some names I've heard! ;)

Congrats and good wishes! I believe you will all be one happy family. :)

historymike said...


I like Carter better as an ex-President. He has been one hell of an ambassador for peace and human rights in the last 10 years.

While good-intentioned as President, his term was marked by too many scandals and not enough political successes.

He did bring a measure of personal integrity back to the White House, for which his successors owe him a debt of gratitude.

historymike said...

Thanks, Do.

Jimmy is a very sweet dog; he is friendly, but not in that "knock-you-flat" Labrador way.

He also has quite a bark when people arrive, and he is already showing some signs of territoriality.

BrianMaxson said...


I'm really happy for your good news.

May the joy Jimmy will bring to yours be treasured as the memories Hershey left with your family.

Hooda Thunkit said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hooda Thunkit said...

Herschel understands and that's all that really matters.

The void he left has to be filled.

In a day or two the young one will come around, they always do.

And, somewhere, Hershey smiles.

Kate said...

Its funny Mike - the level of pain a child feels. My mother told me years ago and it was true as I watched my own children. A small child can become as grievously mournful over being told no as they would later in life to lose a parent. Maybe a matter of perspective?

But we lose that as we grow - but your young man is probably dealing with a first death of a pet? And a dog? You know about a boy and his dog.

Yes, in time it'll get better for right now he's probably feeling hard toward the 'replacement'.

My 26 year old has a Brittany spaniel that we've had for about 15 years. He has cancer. I've tried to broach the subject of putting him down - because if he looks like he's suffering, I'm not going to wait. But Michael doesn't say much. He just extricates himself from the conversation as soon as he can.

Invariably I'll see him outside petting that door directly afterwards.

Doesn't get all that much easier :-)

Kate said...

dog....he's petting the dog :-)