May 6, 2006

The Passing of a Legend

(Toledo, OH) It is with sincere regret that I must inform readers of the passing of a truly unique dog, Daisy.

For those of you outside the Toledo area, or who never venture in the Westgate area, Daisy was a mainstay along busy Secor Road for many years. She sat, Sphinx-like, in front of Sweeper World, where her owner Dennis Gillen runs Toledo's best vacuum cleaner sales and service emporium.

"Daisy developed bad hips and a pinched nerve in her back," said Gillen. "We had to put her to sleep three weeks ago."

I posted a story about Daisy last year, and the response was so positive here and at Toledo Talk that I ran the post again several months later.

I stopped by Sweeper World today to get some vacuum cleaner bags (special deal if you purchase two packs) and chatted with Gillen about dogs. My good friend Hershey, a chocolate Labrador retriever, also suffered from severe hip problems and had to be put asleep this year.

Two grown men keeping tears in check over a couple of dogs; it never ceases to amaze me how pets can become such a part of a person's life.

Daisy, if you see my old friend up in Dog Heaven, tell him I said "Hello."

Gillen has a new friend who accompanies him to Sweeper World these days, a tan-colored chow named Lilly. Perhaps she will one day become as recognizable as the friendly black chow who was once known as the First Lady of Secor Road.


Anonymous said...

I will miss seing that dog. Thanks, Mike.

Anonymous said...

I used to see that black dog every day. I'll miss her, too.

historymike said...

Yes, anonymous #1 and #2, Daisy was a fine dog and she will be missed by many people.

Anonymous said...

I fell like I know this dog after seeing her so many years. Bye Daisy!

Lloyd said...

I have to admit that stories like this are partially the reason I don't want a dog. I just don't want to deal with the emotions.

I consider dogs like grandkids. I enjoy being around them as long as they aren't mine and even more if they are not in my house. Keep some hand soap and a sink nearby and I can handle being around dogs. For the most part though, I avoid animals.

I just have this weird hang-up on how we are the superior mammal, but we serve them. Seems odd to me, and I’m sure that opinion makes me odd but that’s okay.

Hooda Thunkit said...

The sunrise just won't seem as bright for a time, now that Daisy has passed on :-(

Much like it had dimmed with Hershey's passing. . .