May 18, 2006

Pat Robertson Says God Told Him of Storms, Tsunami

Share
Left: God: "Listen up, Pat..."

(Virgnia Beach, VA) Televangelist and onetime presidential candidate Pat Robertson claims that God has spoken to him, and that bad things are in store for the United States.

"If I heard the Lord right about 2006, the coasts of America will be lashed by storms," Robertson said May 8, while yesterday he added that "there well may be something as bad as a tsunami in the Pacific Northwest."

Robertson's West Coast tsunami claims are not without scientific merit, as seismologists have warned that an underwater fault known as the Cascadia subduction zone has generated at least four massive earthquakes in the past 1600 years.

Robertson used to strike me as just another socially conservative televangelical (I love this word), but in the past few years he seems to be veering toward lunacy. His well-documented recent controversial statements - such as advocating the assassination of a Hugo Chavez, or that Ariel Sharon's stroke was God's vengeance - have become increasingly strident and bizarre.

Or maybe he is just using the power of the media to make outrageous statements as a way of generating publicity for his 700 Club and affiliated business interests. At any rate the feisty preacher keeps us entertained.

Unless, of course, Robertson is indeed getting an earful from God, in which case maybe I should change my vacation plans from something coastal to something far, far inland.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nobody listens to that nutjob anymore and he has completely lost it.

historymike said...

I don't know that Robertson is a "nutjob."

I also question the statement by anonymous that "Nobody listens to " Robertson anymore.

While his influence is waning, Robertson still draws a sizeable audience. From National Review's Byron York:

The 700 Club, aired each weekday, has averaged 863,000 viewers in the last year. While that is not enough to call it a popular program, it is still a significant audience. It is, for example, more than the average primetime audience for CNN last month — 713,000 viewers — or MSNBC, which averaged 280,000 viewers in prime time. It is also greater than the viewership of CNBC and Headline News.

McCaskey said...

I have no doubt people listen to this clown. But with statements like this one and "we (U.S.) should assasinate the Venezuelan president" it's almost impossible to believe he was actually once a candidate for president. We didn't hear statements quite this off the wall in 1988.
One of my favorite Saturday Night Live moments was when they had a "candidates debate" of Republican contenders and Al Franken did a dead-on hilarious impression of Robertson.

dusty said...

He's crazy like a fox.But he does push the envelope and he knows it and doesn't care because...

ANY PUBLICITY IS GREAT AS LONG AS THEY SPELL YOUR NAME RIGHT!

sorry for the caps..but its my rendition of a preacher :P We shouldn't give credence to this asshat by writing about him. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

M A F said...

I never realized that an audience of 863,000 was so influential, so much so that Howard Dean felt compelled to appear on Robertson's 700 Club and falsely proclaim that his party platform was opposed to gay marriage.

Kate said...

I won't say that he doesn't hear from God. I don't know for sure - but I can tell you that the things he's been credited with saying are far from the teachings of Jesus Christ as I have read them.

As such - I've just kind of felt a twinge of worry when I read this stuff. Like maybe he has a brain tumor - that's what I think.

Now,,,that said - every prophet who ever DID hear from God was called a nutjob :-) I'm sure the lexicon was different but you get the point. So I won't say I don't believe it - I'd say that until I see the storms I'm still going to praying for this man.

Something's gone wrong.

Petrograde said...

I agree, he is either going senile or insane. The last five years he has been babbling, and he looks like he has Parkinson's, too.

BrianMaxson said...

I talk to God too, and he told me he likes making Pat look like the fool.

He told me it was either Pat or G.W.

He almost picked George, but George rakes in big ratings on "Heaven's Most Funniest Videos".

historymike said...

McCaskey:

That WAS a dead-on, funny-funny-funny parody. I had forgotten it.

historymike said...

(laughing at Dusty)

historymike said...

MAF - I missed that about Dean - that's despicably two-faced on his part.

historymike said...

Yes, Kate, far be it from me to "know" whether or not God talks to Pat.

He did make some pretty safe "prophecies," though. The National Weather Service is predicting a higher-than-average hurricane season, and the Discovery Channel has been hyping the Cascadia tsunami on their Mega-Disasters series.

historymike said...

Petrograde -

Now that you mention it, he WAS shaking and sort of head-bobbing the last time I tuned in the 700 Club.

OK, "tuned in" is a stretch. More like "Channel-surfed-and-watched the-circus."

historymike said...

Brian in Vero:

heh heh heh

liberal_dem said...

I wonder if Robertson's 'god' lives on earth or elsewhere.

I'd imagine that his is that dark, mysterious and punishing god 'out there' that fills so many pages of the Bible.

Kate said...

lib dem - ah yes but that is the old testament :-)

I think Jenna Elfman put it best (did you know she had planned to be a NUN when she was growing up?!)

Old Testament = don't piss God off
New Testament = be nice.

Hooda Thunkit said...

I don't know about whether or not God talks to Pat, but based on Pat's track record for the last few years, he needs to score a significant "hit," prediction-wise, to remain relevant, IMO...

(I liked the part about watching the circus though.)