May 29, 2006

The Quote Shelf

A daily feature on this site; feel free to comment on the quote or to supply a competing quote.

Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it. --Francois de La Rochefoucauld


Mrs. Phoenix said...

Ain't THAT the truth...the grass always APPEARS greener on the other side, but how do you know if you're not the one MOWING it?

Mrs. Phoenix said...

Hubby & I had a discussion on the topic of gratitude. We reminisced on how long we've been married (11 years this July), sticking through the rough times so that we can enjoy the good times (and honestly, there is JOY in the rough times, too, IF you truly love yourself AND your spouse) while other couples we knew, who had weddings costing in the high thousands (our's never made it over $500) are now divorced (some while still owing ceremony bills!). I just wanted to talk about that since today is Memorial Day, and morally strong families are the foundation for a morally strong country.

Hooda Thunkit said...


To quote mrs. phoenix, "Ain't THAT the truth!"

That one was DEEP, very DEEP.

historymike said...

Thanks, Mrs. Phoenix and Hooda Thunkit.

As I look out on my quarter-acre of urban paradise, can a person need much more than a little piece of earth?

I picked about a half-dozen strawberries today from plants that I have been nurturing, and there is nothing like eating food that you have grown with your own efforts.

Speaking of grass-cutting, I wonder if Carty would let me keep a goat...

Hooda Thunkit said...

(Carty IS a Goat.