May 5, 2006

Rapid Rhetoric: HEPHAESTIAN

Share
This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

Hephaestian adj. of or related to Hephaestus, the Greek god of fire and iron-working.

This word is generally used in describing the work of blacksmiths. The alternate adjectival form of "Hephaestic" is also found in most dictionaries.

Also worth noting: Prometheus stole the fire he gave to man from the forge of Hephaestus, and Hephaestus is also credited with creating the evil gift that the gods gave man: Pandora and her box.

6 comments:

Hooda Thunkit said...

Although quite interesting, as usual, I think that I'll stick with blacksmithing and smithy references ;-)

Q. Do you seek these words out or, just run across them while reading?

historymike said...

No, they seem to seek ME. I read a lot - way too much - and some of the historical research I do puts me into contact with words that are now obsolete or archaic.

I also have the annoying (to me) habit of being obsessed with knowing the meaning of every word I read. This sometimes causes me to bog down on my reading as I search out these word meanings.

BrianMaxson said...

Now a certain politican has a target for all that cursing under his breath. Hephaestus and his lovely parting gift.

Thanks Mike, you're doing a fine job.

historymike said...

Thanks, Brian. Good to see you dropping in on Toledo happenings. Your caustic wit is always welcome.

:-}

BrianMaxson said...

Thanks Mike,

I really enjoy participating with everyone seeing most people can be civil.

But I have to say, Pandora's Box isn't political nor economic, it shows no bigotry nor favoritism. It's all about those that receive it and have the nerve and "maturity" to deal with it when it's opened.

Hooda Thunkit said...

Mike,
"I also have the annoying (to me) habit of being obsessed with knowing the meaning of every word I read. This sometimes causes me to bog down on my reading as I search out these word meanings."

I believe that I mentioned this before, but I HAVE to have a browser opened to dictionary.com, whenever I read your blog, for that very same reason ;-)