May 20, 2006

Rapid Rhetoric: LAMBREQUIN

This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

lambrequin - n. an ornamental hanging over the upper part of a window or along the edge of a shelf. A lambrequin can also be a border pattern with draped effect in ceramic objects, or a helmet decoration.

Click the links for photos of lambrequin uses; it is easier to show a lambrequin than to describe one with words.


Stephanie said...

How pretty! I like that vase.

historymike said...

And you also know the term lambrequin. Now use it in three conversations today to etch it in your head.


Me, I gotta use a hammer and chisel.

Hooda Thunkit said...

Quite a variety of examples ;-)

Stephanie said...

lol -- Well, I'm more likely to use it in a story than a conversation. I don't think I even have a lambrequin in my home. We're much simpler folk...torn wall paper, curtain-less den is the only place in my house that's purty and there's isn't a single bit of lambrequin in here. Besides, I spell a lot better than I pronounce...yet another reason to be absolutely terrified of my imminent speech class, and to demonstrate how truly pathetic I am it's not scheduled until October and I can already feel the hyperventalation coming on.