May 17, 2006

Return of the Bearded Iris

Share

(Toledo, OH) I would love to take credit for the many beautiful perennials that show up at our house, but my wife has been the one who had the vision to plant so many different bulbs over the years.

Scarcely a week goes by without some colorful blossom brightening our house, and this is the week of the bearded irises.

Bearded irises, I have learned, are easy to cultivate, and grow in almost any garden soil. They need little beyond water and the occasional addition of turfy ingredients, such as peat or loam.

7 comments:

Maggie Thurber said...

And mine don't even have the buds, yet!

Beautiful picture - hope mine look as good in another couple of weeks!

liberal_dem said...

Mike- did you ever notice that the smell of purple iris is that of grape Kool Aid?

Beautiful photo.

historymike said...

Thanks, but the flowers did all the work. I just snapped my point-and-click.

My sinuses are so jacked that I can hardly smell anything anymore - one of these days (when my HMO says OK) I'm going to get some serious adenoidectomy, tonsilectomy, and every other -ectomy I can finagle...

Newsguy said...

Mike you have inspired me to post pix of some of our Southern California posies.

BTW and on an entirely different subject, I have just read a fascinating book: Manhunt, by J.L.Swanson, a detailed story of the search for J.W. Booth after the Lincoln assassination. It is a teriffic read.

Petrograde said...

All I have is a window box outside my 5th floor apartment, and I haven't planted anything in years.

liberal_dem said...

and I haven't planted anything in years.

Does your soul feel no kinship with the earth?

Hooda Thunkit said...

Mike,
They're beautiful!

We really NEED to landscape our back yard, for color, we have dandelions :-(