Jun 8, 2006

Ann Coulter - In Her Own Words

Ann Coulter, whose rabid rants make Bill O'Reilly look like Ward Cleaver, has outdone herself with her attack on 9/11 widows. Here is the quote from her new book - Godless: The Church of Liberalism - that sparked the latest controversy:

"These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by grief-arazzis. I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much...And by the way, how do we know their husbands weren't planning to divorce these harpies? Now that their shelf life is dwindling, they'd better hurry up and appear in Playboy."

Coulter, who has claimed to support apartheid in South Africa because the whites were surrounded by "savages," and who refers to Muslims as "camel jockeys," "jihad monkeys," and "tent merchants," knows how to generate media buzz; this shock-based self-promotion, however, comes with a price: a decline in civil discourse.

I thought that, instead of running The Quote Shelf today, it might behoove us to re-examine some of Coulter's more infamous comments (a tip of the hat to Wikipedia for most of these).

"I think the government should be spying on all Arabs, engaging in torture as a televised spectator sport, dropping daisy cutters wantonly throughout the Middle East and sending liberals to Guantanamo." - Her column, December 21, 2005

"I think our motto should be, post-9-11: raghead talks tough, raghead faces consequences." February 10, 2006, CPAC convention speech.

"The ethic of conservation is the explicit abnegation of man's dominion over the Earth. The lower species are here for our use. God said so: Go forth, be fruitful, multiply, and rape the planet — it's yours. That's our job: drilling, mining and stripping. Sweaters are the anti-Biblical view. Big gas-guzzling cars with phones and CD players and wet bars — that's the Biblical view." Jewish World Review, October 13, 2000.

"I have to say I'm all for public flogging. One type of criminal that a public humiliation might work particularly well with are the juvenile delinquents, a lot of whom consider it a badge of honor to be sent to juvenile detention. And it might not be such a cool thing in the 'hood to be flogged publicly." MSNBC ,March 22, 1997

"It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact. In fact, in every presidential election since 1950 — except Goldwater in '64 — the Republican would have won, if only the men had voted." The Guardian Online, May 17, 2003.

"Liberals hate America, they hate flag-wavers, they hate abortion opponents, they hate all religions except Islam, post 9/11. Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do. They don't have the energy. If they had that much energy, they'd have indoor plumbing by now." — (from Slander, pp. 5–6; published June 2002)

"The Times was rushing to assure its readers that 'prominent Islamic scholars and theologians in the West say unequivocally that nothing in Islam countenances the Sept. 11 actions.' (That's if you set aside Muhammad's many specific instructions to kill nonbelievers whenever possible.)" How to Talk to a Liberal, 2004.

"In the history of the nation, there has never been a political party so ridiculous as today's Democrats. It's as if all the brain-damaged people in America got together and formed a voting bloc." Townhall.com. January 12, 2006.

"Perhaps we could put aside our national, ongoing, post-9/11 Muslim butt-kissing contest and get on with the business at hand: Bombing Syria back to the stone age and then permanently disarming Iran." — Her column, February 15, 2006.

"I'd build a wall. In fact, I'd hire illegal immigrants to build the wall. And throw out the illegals who are here... It's cheap labor." The O'Reilly Factor, April 14, 2006.


Anonymous said...

Awww, widdle wiberals are all upset cuz Ann tells the truth.

Get a life you putz.

joegb said...

Isn't it incredible that someone can become famous for doing what the rest of the country knows is wrong. It's like all you have to do to become rich and famous in the world of political opinions is voice your prejudices without any shame at all.

Kate said...

My Mom sent me a link to one of these columns. I was pretty shocked at the language and what I felt was the intent.

As a moderate conservative I can say that she doesn't reflect my views in any way. And I don't approve of hate mongering regardless of the party affiliation.

She gets published - but I can't figure out how. I think the woman is disturbed.

The Arab comments that she made - how could she not have any empathy for people simply because they were born in another country?

More enlightened minds prefer to separate active militant or terrorist activity from the civilian population - who more often than not, suffer greatly.

It just boggles the mind - it really does. Also flies in the face of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Absolutely out of keeping with Christian faith.

Kevin said...

I think Ann Coulter knows exactly what she is doing. She is entertaining, and given the coverage, apparently doing it well. That is all one needs to say about her and I suspect that based on the tone and language she utilizes that it is all that Coulter herself is looking for in terms of a public reaction.

Anonymous said...

I am familiar with Coulter's unabashed use of hate-speech, but even some of these quotations threw me for a loop. As a Christian, I agree with Kate's earlier comment about the blatant, unapologetic inhumanity that permeates her public discourse (for example, how can Coulter find biblical evidence that suggests the planet is here for our wanton consumption? That seems to fly in the face of, oh, every allegorical narrative in the text). I hope and pray all thinking Americans start to see Coulter for the cartoonish punditry she hawks, and realize even in times of war we must remember our basic freedoms.

historymike said...

Anonymous #1:

Which "truths" of Coulter's would those be?

That women should not vote, that Muslims are "camel jockeys," or that black Africans are "savages?"

You may be right, though, that I might be a putz.

historymike said...

Agreed, joegb. Coulter goes far beyond the boundaries of good taste.

Anything for publicity.

historymike said...


Very much agreed on the teachings of Christ. How Coulter can call herself a Christian - with a straight face - is beyond me.

historymike said...

Anonymous #2:

Good point about wartime decorum. I doubt that many people would want to go back to the days where we demonized our enemies.

historymike said...


I hope that you are right in that Coulter shocks for entertainment's sake.

However, she looked Matt Lauer in the eye the other morning and - straightfaced - defended every word of her diatribe against the 9/11 widows.

She did not back down one inch.

Berserker said...

"I doubt that many people would want to go back to the days where we demonized our enemies."

Aw c'mon people!

Noone lets Berserker have any fun.


Anonymous said...

I've always thought that Ann Coulter looks anorexic.

I mean, look at her. She looks like absolutely underweight and not in that "Hollywood pilates-zone kind of way."

I've always thought that what I am presuming is anorexia is kind of a glimmer into her mental instability.

Her comments about the 9-11 widows is heartless.

lucien de la peste said...

What a woman!

Dariush said...

"I've always thought that Ann Coulter looks anorexic.

I mean, look at her. She looks like absolutely underweight and not in that 'Hollywood pilates-zone kind of way.'"

That's a bit of an understatement. To me, with her gaunt facial features, her twig-like arms and legs and her straight-up-and-down, zero curves, "physique", she looks like a death camp survivor.

How anyone can think she's "sexy", I'll never know.

Incidentally, off topic, but am I the only one having major problems connecting to all blogspot sights? Today especially, but in the past few days as well?

Currently, it doesn't look it's posting new comments to the actual blog itself -- only to this 'post comments' page.

liberal_dem said...

I think she used to be male.

Brian said...


I agree with you. I don't see how she is sexually attractive. Perhaps socially conservative women who are good looking are rare.

I think what Ann Coulter is actually talking about is that group that called themselves "The Jersey Women". They were 9/11 widows who campaigned against George Bush. They attacked George Bush rather viciously.

No matter if you agree with them (or Bush) or not, you have to agree that Bush was not able to respond or defend himself.

However, Coulter is crass, vulgar, and vile. And she chooses to express herself badly. She's not worthy of the attention she gets.

Suss & The Family Stone said...

Here's a fun game. Get a quote, and decide who said it: Coulter or Stephen Colbert?

gefilte said...

The truth is out there:

Strap-on Veterans for Truth

Anchorage Activist said...

Dariush - Blogger's had problems all week. It's affected me - I had to delay posting about the first Alaska gubernatorial poll for 12 hours because of one of their outages. They've got one more change planned early Friday morning, which they believe will finally solve these problems. Either that, or Ann Coulter hijacked their server. :-D

Mike - Actually, although I'm a hardline paleoconservative, Ann Coulter's even a bit much for me at times. With her, politics is actually the extension of war by other means. It's too bad she's so negative, because she's an intelligent woman. Two things she desperately needs - a 20 ounce steak and a 200 pound man.

Do said...

Not sure if the Strap-On Veteran site is genuine or not, but the photos of the drag queens certainly do look like Ann Coulter.

She's a shock-jock and can't promote anything positive. A 'female' Howard Stern.

Hooda Thunkit said...


The words Ann Coulter and civil discourse should never be used in the same story, in any context. She gives true conservatives a bad name.

She does this for one reason.
She does it for the money…

Aside: As for “attractiveness,” she isn’t even pretty to look at. Ugh!

Kate said...

I heard an interview this morning on her new book. I'm still seeing her venom unfolding.

I say it again - this is not representative of Christian behavior in any way shape or form.

Just can't believe some folks.....

And I thought hate speech was illegal? I don't know - maybe wishful thinking - b/c then I'd be screaming civil rights violation.

I'm going to see my folks tomorrow - I wonder what they'll ahve to say about this latest salvo of hate.

Kate said...

I'm sorry - I have to add one more thing.

If she were living in Jesus's time - she would dang sure skippy have been a Pharisee.

Dariush said...

Kate: "I say it again - this is not representative of Christian behavior in any way shape or form."

You don't have to be defensive about this. I don't believe anyone, not anyone herself, sincerely thinks that any of the things she does or says are done in the name of any form of Christianity.

I doubt if she could even answer one or two basic theological questions correctly. In fact, I hear she's not much of a churchgoer at all.

"And I thought hate speech was illegal? I don't know - maybe wishful thinking"

"Hate speech" is not illegal, and will not be illegal, so long as we have still have a First Amendment... much to the disappointment of certain folks who shall remain nameless.

I think that more than anything else the rise to prominence of folks like Coulter is a reflection on how low the mainstream conservative movement has sunk. A movement and a political ideology that once boasted such intellectual giants as Michael Oakshott, James Burnham, Russell Kirk, Friedrich Hayek and G.K. Chesterton (for starters) now offers up such fare as Coulter, Hannity, Savage, O'Reilly etc.

"How the Right Got Bigger and Dumber" was the cover story of an issue of The American Conservative from last year. Very accurate and appropriate.

Kate said...

thanks for the reassurance. It's worrisome to say the least...

in this woman's OWN words: (she wrote her own review)

"The main problem with "Godless" is that I had to walk through the valley of darkness to find it. You will have to push past surly bookstore clerks, proceed past the weird people in the "self-help" section, and finally past the stacks and stacks of Hillary Clinton's memoirs.

If all else fails, ask for the "hate speech" section of your local bookstore.

Ironically, if you find "Godless" without asking for assistance, it's considered a minor miracle."


disturbing...on so many levels.

So - am I a conservative then - as a Christian? Does that automatically throw me in with a sad example of a human as this? I hope the answer is NO.

And I suppose I knew that her speech was protected. I'm the one who always beats that drum, you can't limit protected civil liberties just because you despise what someone does with them....

Kate said...

From a website that this 'writer' shares with Dear Abby and some others..... She responds to criticism of her slamming 9/11 widows with a glaring misdirections:




I thought I'd put off that column on ethanol subsidies I'd been planning to write this week and instead address the topic that has so riveted the nation -- the hot new book "Godless: The Church of Liberalism."
First of all, I'm getting a little fed up with people trying to make money off my book. Worthless little cable TV shows with teeny-tiny audiences, ridiculous legislators and tabloid newspapers are all trying to make a name for themselves off the profundity of "Godless."

Second, let's pause for a moment to observe that two facts are now universally accepted: Liberals are godless and Hillary's husband is a rapist."

So...she claims to follow the teachings of Jesus? Wow - a rock would have the iq to do the math on this one...