Jun 23, 2006

Dangerous Staph Bug Traced to Unlicensed Tattoo Artists

Share
Left: Human MRSA infection

(Atlanta, GA) The popularity of unlicensed tattoo artists is being linked with outbreaks of the potentially deadly bacterial infection methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

MRSA is a strain of the Staphylococcus aureus bacterium that has developed antibiotic resistance to all drugs in the penicillin family.

44 tattoo customers in Ohio, Kentucky and Vermont developed skin infections traced to 13 unlicensed tattoo artists in the last two years.

Symptoms of MRSA infection range from skin boils to necrotizing fasciitis, sometimes referred to as "flesh-eating disease" in the popular press. MRSA infections have been combatted in the past decade with the antibiotic vancomycin, but vancomycin-resistant staphyloccocus has increasingly appeared in the past five years.

MRSA infections can be transmitted from person to person by contact with draining sores, through contact with contaminated items, and in some cases from animals infected with MRSA.

Occasionally staphylococci can enter the body and cause serious and sometimes fatal conditions such as blood infections or pneumonia.

The CDC found that the unlicensed tattoo artists did not practice necessary hygiene practices, and that instead of doing the work in tattoo parlors, the body art was done in the homes of the tattooists or the recipients, or in public parks.

Unlicensed artists have increased in popularity due to their ability to charge lower prices than licensed commercial tattoo operators.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

ewwwww!

McCaskey said...

Thanks for whetting my appetite for lunch, HM, LOL

Kate said...

oh that's disgusting. Ick.

historymike said...

Aw, heck. I could have used one of the REALLY disgusting pics, like this:

Super icky MRSA pic

Kate said...

AUGHHHH I never better than to look. I knew better.

historymike said...

Heh heh heh!

Kate said...

I got yer heh heh heh.

Brian said...

Waiting patiently for liberal_dem to tell us how George Bush and Karl Rove cooked up this bacteria in a laboratory to infect those who do not agree with them.

Liberal_Dem. . .

Kate said...

You know brian - it's odd you would say that.

Although we have different political ideals - I've been enjoying dialoguing with (him/her).

There is such a divide between people anymore - I like to talk to people who are capable of honest conversation. Sure this person's still roiled over a few things, I can see that from time to time - but you know what? So am I :-)

So what was your purpose in posting that? Because you did NOT see somebody else say something snarky and you thought you'd point that out by saying something snarky?

Confusing to say the least.

Hooda Thunkit said...

Mike,

I could sure use some pistachio ice cream, right bout now ;-)

Anonymous said...

i used to have mrsa......almost took my leg....it sucks and it hurts bad and the needles they shove into you to drain it sucks.....medication made me feel icky for a month.....sucks but all healed now

tenebris totalis said...

definitely scarey, but what is this about licensing? I've been researching the tatto industry and have found very few states or canadian provinces even have standards let alone a licensing body or regulations. So really we need to work harder to bring the national, and even continental standards up to date.

Shavena Davis said...

THAT IS SO NASTY!! I ALMOST THREW UP AND NOW I KNOW THAT MRSA ISNT SOMETHING TO PLAY WITH....

Anonymous said...

dude that's really not cool its a disease which i have its not fun and keeps coming back so dont say things like ew and stuff please

Anonymous said...

That is so not cool. I was just thinking about getting a tatoo the other day and even though i was going to a liscened place i still dont want one now grr now im freaked out !

Anonymous said...

thas fuckinq nasty cuz.

Anonymous said...

this disease is no joke my dad wants to get tatto im gonna tell him njot to when i get home cuz this shit is nasty as hell.

Anonymous said...

I think I got it... but I didn't get it from any tattoo! At first, I thought it was a spider bite b/c it looks like one. Someone told me about MRSA and I freaked out and went to my doctor. I'm still waiting on lab test results to confirm that's what's on my leg. This is NO JOKE! It hurts ALOT, oozes puss and blood and it's just flat out GROSS. I work in a hospital so that's probably how I got it... and I'm so good about washing my hands! Please BE CAREFUL people!! I wouldn't wish this on anyone...

Anonymous said...

What does it look like when its starts? Is it just like a little rash or does it start out as a sore?

DieStandingUp said...

Oh, I really hope I don't have this! I have a bump below my knee that looks like a spider-bite that just showed up one night. There were two other ones around it, three in all, but two of them have already gone away. There's only one left, but it looks kind of inflammed, and it has a red area around it, but it's really small and I think it might be going away. I hope that I'm freaking out about nothing, I don't think I've ever been exposed to anyone with it, so I should be okay... I am going to the doctors in maybe a week and I am definetely going to have them check it out. There's no pus or liquid draining out of it though, I reallllly hope it's just a false alarm....

Anonymous said...

I have MRSA! it sucks! but its the CA MRSA and im taking meds. its all good. WASH YOUR HANDS

Anonymous said...

that makes me want a hotdog

Anonymous said...

that is sick i have had mrsa but went to the doctor very after i showed my people u donot need to play with mrsa