Jun 4, 2006

Hell, Michigan Gears Up For 6-6-6

Left: Hell's mayor John Colone; photo courtesy of Ricardo Thomas / The Detroit News

(Hell, MI) Tuesday, which is the sixth day of the sixth month in the year '06, looks to be one hell of a party for the Michigan town with the same name.

The date has some religious significance, as a passage in Revelations 13 suggests that the number 666 may be associated with dark portent:
"Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell who does not have the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom: let anyone with the understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a person. Its number is six hundred and sixty-six."
There is a heated debate among Biblical scholars about the meaning of this passage, as "the Beast" may refer to the Antichrist, Roman emperor Nero, or even Satan himself. The number has also been translated by some Greek experts as 6-1-6.

None of this, however, will interrupt the festivities in Hell, which is located in Livingston County about 20 miles northwest of Ann Arbor.

"I've got '666' T-shirts and mugs. I'm only ordering 666 so once they're gone, that's it," said John Colone, also known as Odum Plenty, the town's unofficial mayor. "Everyone who comes will get a letter of authenticity saying you've celebrated June 6, 2006, in Hell."

Colone has ordered the "Gates of Hell" for a children's play area.

"They're 8 feet tall and 5 foot wide and each gate looks like flames, and when they're closed, it's a devil's head," he said.

More information about the hellacious activities on Tuesday can be found at the town's unofficial website, which is named Hell2U.com.


liberal_dem said...

Surely, if one is one of those fundamentalist fanatics, one ought not to get out of bed on that day.

What utter nonsense but what an opportunity for Hell. Mike, are you going to Hell?

Do said...

Some days I feel like I'm in Hell, perhaps I will make a conscious effort to land there on Tuesday.

I'd rather be able to SEE where I'm going... ;)

Lisa Renee said...

I wish I could go that sounds like it could be fun. However, I don't think I know anyone who can take me to hell.


Berserker said...


Oops, I mean darn! I won't be able to get there this week.

I've been to Hell and really enjoyed the place.

Wish you were here!


historymike said...

Yes, I'll be going to Hell on Tuesday.

I am pitching it to some national magazines to see if I can at least earn my gas/burger/trinket money back.

If not, I'll blog my journey to Hell. Dante would be proud.

liberal_dem said...

Yes, I'll be going to Hell on Tuesday.

...a comment waiting for some reply

historymike said...

A short travelogue on my trip to Hell at the above link.

Hooda Thunkit said...

I’m betting that they celebrate Hell-o-ween on October 31st ;-)