Jul 28, 2006

Pranksters Infuriate TV Anchor


(New York) "Good Day New York" anchor Jodi Applegate became irate yesterday when a pair of brothers simulated an unplanned power-tool accident on the live show.

Casey and Van Neistat, independent filmmakers, were scheduled to demonstrate the ease with which bicycles can be stolen in New York.

Instead, well... watch the video.

For those of you who do not fall into the Video Nazi category, visit the Neistat Brothers website and watch some of their quirky short films. Some take a few minutes to load, so be patient; I found the "Goldfish," "I-Pod's Dirty Little Secret," and "Truckfire" videos particularly entertaining.


Anonymous said...

That's hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Priceless...absolutely priceless when this happens on a "FOX" local news. Pot calling its kettle black....

Lisa Renee said...

hehehe - obviously the reporter should have realized these guys have an interesting sense of humor. I saw the video of them stealing their own bike over on Andrew Sullivan's blog the other day.


historymike said...

Yeah, the Neistat Brothers have a sort of gonzo weirdness to their humor that I love.

Lisa's right about doing one's homework with guests. Many of their clips are edgy and push the legal boundaries of video, like the Holland Tunnel piece or the I-Pod grafitti clip.

Personally speaking - this is the sort goofy prank I like to pull, and the anchor's anger seemed overboard for a silly skit.

On a local Toledo level, the nearest equivalent might be FM-98.3's Johny D for his unpredictability.

If I were to hire Johny D. for a promo(and I did several times in the past), I better know that he will do something outrageous.

One time we did a live remote at one of my pizza places, and he said something like "come on down to the 'hood for a great pizza deal."

When some listeners called to complain about his calling their area "the 'hood," Johny D. came back on and apologized at the next live remote spot 20 minutes later:

"Some of you were unhappy that I called this area 'the 'hood.' That was wrong and I apologize."

He continued:

"So if any of you WHITE TRASH want a great deal on pizaa, come on down..."


He probably pissed off more people than were lured in, but it was absolutely hilarious.

LTLOP said...

That video was childish, immature and completly out if line. Oh, by the way I loved it.

Anonymous said...

I don't get a video link. Has it been taken down, or is something wrong with my computer?

Anonymous said...

Never mind. Figured it out. I didn't have flash installed with the browser I was using.

Hooda Thunkit said...


The Neistat Brothers exhibit occasional flashes of brilliance, much like a flashbulb.

But after the bulb flashes. . .

I did enjoy some of them ;-)