Jul 12, 2006

Storm Chasing

Wall cloud in Toledo, OH Left: Wall cloud spotted at about 5:50 pm from Alexis Road at the I-75 overpass; photo by historymike

(Toledo, OH) We have seen some strange weather in the past month, and today was no exception. Between 2 and 4 inches of rain fell in areas of northwest Ohio, and some of the thunderstorms were quite powerful.

I was traveling along Alexis Road this evening as a rogue "pop-up" storm passed through North Toledo, and I saw what I first thought was a funnel cloud forming.

Further review of my photos (and consultation with more knowledgeable weather sources) led me to believe that I instead witnessed a wall cloud. The cloud's rotation and nearness to the ground were what fascinated me, and they were in keeping with characteristics of wall clouds.

Wall clouds tend to form at the rear of a supercell, and are the parts of a thunderstorm that are most likely to produce tornadoes.


Anonymous said...

Whoa - nice pic!

Hooda Thunkit said...

Years ago, on the Southern shore of Lake Michigan, we got up close and personal with a similar phenomenon.

We went from a dead quiet calm, to a vicious sand storm, to full sunlight in less than a minute, but, what a crazy minute it was.

Anonymous said...


Looks like a classic tail cloud, versus a wall cloud. Definitely some low level scud in there, more than like because you were in the updraft area of the storm. Wall cloud though? Probably not...but the pic doesn't really show much more of the storm structure to accurately define it.