Jul 31, 2006

Toledo: 105 Heat Index Today

Share
Heat index chart Left: Heat index chart courtesy of National Weather Service

(Toledo, OH) At the outset I must confess that I am perhaps the world's biggest whiner when it comes to hot weather. I sweat profusely, get irritable, and generally am not pleasant to be around when I am hot.

Give me a blizzard any day of the week.

The "heat dome" that has now enveloped Toledo, though, is especially unbearable. We are expected to hit a high of 96º today, and hit a heat index 0f 105º. The digital thermometer on my GMC already reads 98º in the sun.

Yes, swampy Toledo summer weather is here, and will stay for several more days. I, for one, plan to avoid the outdoors as much as possible. After only one hour in the garden yesterday I must have sweated off a quart of water and felt as though I just ran a marathon.

Of course, I just HAD to work at three in the afternoon; I couldn't use my common sense and wait until sunset and instead risked heat exhaustion.

Anyways, stay cool, drink lots of water, avoid caffeinated beverages, and don't be like me.

11 comments:

McCaskey said...

I went outside for a very short walk late this morning and I'm telling you and everyone else now: it's dangerous out there.
The only time you should be outdoors today is the time it takes you to get from your air-conditioned (hopefully) house to your air-conditioned car to your air-conditioned workplace and back again. It's unbearable, and tomorrow is supposed to be worse.

Kate said...

People tend to overlook the animals in heat. Bring outdoor animals in if you are able to. If you can't - put water in a plastic pool and make it available to them - our dog actually gets IN - and the neighborhood cats stick their paws in - wash their faces and drink.

But it is dangerous outside today - go inside Mike!!

Kate said...

Sorry for the double post - you can also freeze water in empty pop 2l bottles overnight. Put them where the animals can lay with them in the shade.

Lisa Renee said...

Could be worse...I hear we have a Wombat problem in Toledo

:-)

historymike said...

The ever-vigilant Lisa Renee refers to Subcomandante Bob's story about an alleged wombat-fighting ring, covered by the astute reporters at Toledo Tales.

The story has been picked up by Fark.com, ESPN's Mike and Mike, and AOL.com "Journal Feed" for AOL webpages.

About half the readers believed the story was real, including Mike and Mike, who went on air and decried the evil that lurks in the minds of wombat abusers.

Billy Pilgrim said...

Mike, you should be proud of Bob and I--our journalistic endeavors are finally fodder for national discourse.

As far as the heat, let me tell you--here in D.C., it's hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk. Probably hot enough to fry a ham steak, too. You know, there might be something to that...maybe I'll have an omlet for dinner...

Lisa Renee said...

I think the Wombats have hamster potential...

:-)

WOMBAT SIGHTING! (hehehe)

Lisa Renee said...

Notice I'm focusing on the Wombats because we don't have air conditioning...

:-)

BrianMaxson said...

You bunch of woosies.

This is our Spring weather, for crying out loud!

Explains what Florida considers an afternoon thunderstorm can turn into a FEMA crisis up there!

:)

Hooda Thunkit said...

Watch yourself Mike, you know what they say about (un)common sense :-]

Grab the pup and you two go play in the sprinkler.

Maggie Thurber said...

actually, we tried to fry an egg on the sidewalk...didn't really work. Just got gooy and the whites didn't get white. the kids wanted to try it on a car, but we vetoed that idea....

Can you fry a wombat on a sidewalk?