Aug 13, 2006

On Being Home

Share
(Toledo, OH) No matter how much a person enjoys a vacation, almost nothing compares with the feeling of pulling up in the driveway after a long trip.

The excitement of returning home increased after each turnpike mileage sign that highlighted Toledo: 174...119...83...72.

Then, finally, seeing the house, opening the door, and being home.

I am a creature of habit, and - try as I might - I cannot duplicate my routines when I am on the road. Nor can I replace my comfortable bed, my gardens, my books, or any of the other items I take for granted when I am at home.

I missed my dog, my lawn mower, and even my creaky front door that needs oiling. While a vacation offers many diversions and opportunities to expand our horizons, it is the everyday and the humdrum in our lives that ground us.

And it is so very good to be home.

5 comments:

McCaskey said...

Yep, last week my family got back from a five-day stay in Lancaster County, Pa. (my hometown area). And it was great to be back home. Missed the bed, missed the dog. DID NOT miss my lawnmower, or Sylvania traffic.

Lisa Renee said...

I'm glad you are home safe and sound.

:-)

Maggie Thurber said...

funny - as we come across the signs that say "lucas county," that's when I consider myself home. Of course, my own bed is always the best!

Do said...

Welcome home, Mike.

Sounds like the trip was fun, but it's always better to open that door to all that's familiar.

I know when we go away - whether for a day or a 2 week jaunt - I can't wait to open the door and see nothing but familiar things, smell familiar smells and take a deep breath of total relaxation. Vacations are, in many ways, lots of work.

Glad you're back ;)

Hooda Thunkit said...

I don't ever miss the lawnmower, although this weekend was almost tolerable grass mowing weather.

Welcome back Mike and family!