Sep 10, 2006

Confessions of a Fantasy Football Addict

Bombers logo (Toledo, OH) I am, without a doubt, hopelessly addicted to fantasy football. I obsessively read football stats online, watch televised NFL games while clutching my laptop, and cannot sleep on Monday nights until all of the scores are in.

This year, however, I have restrained myself and joined only one league, a group of fellow afficianados who have played in a league that is celebrating its twelfth season. At $70 per owner, the fees are reasonable, and the $175 for winning the fantasy Super Bowl is not exactly like winning the lottery.

It's all about the bragging rights, as every fantasy owner knows.

My team, the Brooks Bombers, has dominated the league the last two regular seasons, and my 30-18-1 record (.648 percentage) over the previous two campaigns is impressive. However, my teams have folded in the playoffs each of the last two years.

The Brooks Bombers are much like the Indianapolis Colts: great regular seasons and toothless tigers in the playoffs.

Tiki BarberLeft: Pinning my Super Bowl hopes on Tiki

I had one of my best drafts ever this preseason, and I enter the year with a balanced 18-player team that has considerable depth. My running back pool of Tiki Barber, Steven Jackson, Reuben Droughns, and Kevin Jones should insulate me from the injuries that have plagued me at that position the last two years.

I am banking on a healthy Randy Moss to bounce back and become a premier wide reciever again, and I am projecting Jake Plummer (with the addition of WR Javon Walker) to jump to being a top-five quarterback.

Thus, it is now time to scan the last-minute injury reports and prepare to watch the Bombers defeat division rival Cold Blooded, whose owner is still pissed about a few trades we have made ( I conned him out of Peyton Manning last year after the Indy QB had a slow start).


historymike said...

Here's my draft (round, player, position)

1 Tiki Barber RB
2 Steven Jackson RB
3 Jake Plummer QB
4 Randy Moss WR
5 Kevin Jones RB
6 Aaron Brooks QB
7 Reuben Droughns RB
8 Derrick Mason WR
9 David Carr QB
10 Andre Johnson WR
11 Kellen Winslow TE
12 Seattle DEF
13 Josh Brown K
14 Reggie Brown WR
15 Dallas Clark TE
16 Brandon Jacobs RB
17 Vince Young QB
18 Cincinnati DEF

My league starts 10 players: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, plus two wild card positions. You can have up to 2 QBs, 3 RBs, and so on starting.

Suss & The Family Stone said...

It's been said that reading about someone else's fantasy football team is as exciting as watching fleas fuck.

With that said, Jake Plummer can rot in hell like the dog that he is.

(Christ, Mike. Do any of your players play for a winning team?)

Me4Prez said...

I have already dropped most of my team and started fresh. It was the first year I did a live draft and I learned that I need most scouting than waking up an hour early and looking over the names.