Sep 26, 2006

Dodging the Lawn Mower Blades

Share
Common American toad Bufo americanus (Toledo, OH) While cutting the lawn this afternoon I saw a brown blur dart past my feet. My first thought was that I had disturbed a mouse, but upon closer inspection I found that my lawn maintenance efforts were bothersome to a small toad.

It took some time before the creature would sit still long enough to get a good photograph. Out of 30 shots only a few were worth saving, and this is the pick of the proverbial litter in my attempts to document the American toad, Bufo americanus.

I played with the hue and brightness a bit to compensate for the midday sun, which obscured the toad's colors. I also splashed him with a little water to make the creature more vivid; between his hopping and the bright sun I wound up with many blurry shots.

I made sure to wash my hands after the amphibian photo shoot, not because I buy into any urban legends about warts, but because the irritated animal doused me with toad urine.

Note: no animals were harmed in the production of this blog post.

5 comments:

Name withheld to protect the guilty said...

Somewhere in my demented collection I have a shot of toads mating at night...

Nate~ said...

there has been alot of little creatures roaming around lately, I found 3 of thse little toads last week on my patio just chillin in the sun

Roland Hansen said...

I keep finding them in my yard, also. I think they are cute critters.

Calico Jack said...

Let's see... roust you out of your comfortable roost, douse you with cold water, wrestle you around and start taking pictures of you. Little wonder you got whizzed on.

Hooda Thunkit said...

Toad urine, the defense mechanism of choice for small amphibians ;-)