Sep 28, 2006

Google Earth and My Backyard

Share
Google Earth image of my backyard(Toledo, OH) For some of you the website and software offered by Google Earth is not news. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this product, this free service allows you to view any patch of the planet as seen from satellite.

The software is now used by over 100 million people, and it combines satellite images, maps, and local information to display geographical data.

The picture on the left is of my house as it might appear some 841 feet in the air.

The software made the news yesterday as spotters poring over satellite images discovered what appears to be two topless sunbathers in the Dutch city of The Hague.

Google makes this service available by inducing advertisers to put flags locating their businesses on the images, but they can be easily minimized by users.

At any rate, the site and software are fun to poke around with and kill a few extra minutes.

6 comments:

McCaskey said...

Wanna see your house even better? Go to local.live.com, powered by Virtual Earth. The Bird's Eye view isn't available for the entire U.S., but the complete Toledo area is covered and the shots of major cities like NYC, L.A., and San Francisco are breathtaking. You can spend HOURS on this site...

historymike said...

Thanks for the link, McCaskey. I am sure I will lose countless hours comparing satellite photos from both sites.

Hooda Thunkit said...

I prefer to use Yahoo's, it's a family thing ;-)

Maggie Thurber said...

Whenever I get really weary of all things locally, I open up Google Earth and follow it from our house to the house we rent for vacation each year...

But I've not been able to get such a clear view that I can see people...

Must try the Virtual Earth...kindof like Mike - I'll lose countless hours comparing...

microdot said...

too bad for me, so far it's not available for Macs in Europe! I did check Googe Earth out on a friends PC and found my house, but the photo was over 4 years old! I could tell because it showed a building I tore down 4 years ago!

liberal_dem said...

Mike-

Toledo, and 'bird's eye' for a color photos:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=41.588586~-83.628485&style=r&lvl=12&scene=1398762&cid=9B4B8D89721C3829!103&lc=1033