Sep 9, 2006

Lamb's Ear - or is it Stone Crop Sedum?

Stachys byzantina or Lamb's ear (Toledo, OH) One of my favorite pernnials is Stachys byzantina, commonly known as "Stachys byzantina." My wife planted one of these about seven years ago, and the plant has gradually multiplied to occupy one-third of a decorative garden we have in the front of the house.

The plants have velvety leaves and are fairly hardy, exhibiting resistance to drought. They bloom throughout the month of September and sometimes provide a burst of fuchsia well into October.

This particular morning a lazy honeybee meandered about the plants as I snapped some photos. His leisurely pace reinforced the notion that Saturday mornings were meant to be a time for unhurried reflection.


Anonymous said...

Hi Mike -- Is this also known as Sedum? Looks alot like some of the stuff that I have growing in my garden beds.

historymike said...

Hi Anon:

The flowers look very much like Sedum, but the leaves of the Lamb's ear have a fuzzy, suede-like texture.

Anonymous said...

It's Stone Crop Sedum, not lambs ear...

Do said...

Looks just like the huge Sedum (Autmn Joy variety) next to my front door. Will have to relocate it next year. It has taken over!

But ya have to admit - they are pretty and the bees just love them. Keeps their pollenation skills honed. ;)

historymike said...

Uh-oh, that's 3 votes for Sedum.

Does Sedum have velvety leaves like Lamb's ear?

Do said...

The leaves of the sedum in my beds has a smooth leaf with a kind of soft slick texture.

Feels cool to the touch and almost fluid filled. I understand that they are in the succulent family, but I have not verified that.

The only plant called Lamb's Ear I have ever seen was a more greyish green with fine, soft, velvety 'hairs' on the leaves. And if I remember correctly the only little 'blossoms' were white. I'll have to check further.... :)

Hooda Thunkit said...