Sep 28, 2006

Weighty Matters

Standing on my scale and monitoring my weight loss (Toledo, OH) Over the past decade my weight has gradually crept up from the 200 pounds I consider to be my ideal weight (I am 6'5"). I was once a person who possessed the sort of metabolism that seemed to annhilate any amount of food I consumed, but my more sedentary life in the world of academia has contributed to my expanding girth.

I made a vow at the beginning of the year to get serious about weight loss. Alas, it is late September and I have only managed to go from 230 to 224.

My new plan is to count calories every day, and I intend to keep my daily caloric intake under 2000 (my ideal intake is about 2500, according to the various calculators I found online). For the past two days I have been at 1850 and 2100 respectively. I was doing fine until my wife did some late night grocery shopping, and then I caved and ate about 400 calories worth of Pringles. Damn those addictive chips!

I have also begun a moderate increase my level of physical activity, making sure that - at the minimum - I walk a few miles a day.

At any rate, I am looking for tips on weight loss. What has worked for you?


Anonymous said...

Dude - wash those shoes

historymike said...


In my defense, my shoes were a bit muddy from walking the dog in the park this morning.

historymike said...


In my defense, my shoes were a bit muddy from walking the dog in the park this morning.

Maggie Thurber said...

First, don't weigh yourself clothed and shoed (is that word?)'d be surprised at how much those things weigh!

Anonymous said...

Not to get off topic, but do you know why the Toledo Free Press website hasn't been updated lately?

wjohnson said...

Once you get passed a certain age, all hope is lost when it comes to the weight battle. I am now 53 and I can gain 5 lbs on dirt and wood. I just hope it levels off before I reach the Jabba the Hutt territory.

McCaskey said...

HM: If you're 6-5, you're not really that much overweight, if at all. You don't need to lose weight as much as you need to get fit.

First thing you do--throw out the damn scale. Unless you're a marathon runner, hardly anyone alive falls into the 'desired' height vs. weight categories physicians use to tell us how 'overweight' we are.

You're already walking...that's good. If you can combine that with running a treadmill about 30 minutes at a decent interval a couple times a week and, I think, mostly importantly, begin weight training, you will see your body begin to take shape...smaller around the waist and larger almost everwhere else. Lifting weights (and it does not have to be alot of weight) builds muscle, which burns fat. It burns fat while you're walking, doing the treadmill, or the real beauty of it, while you're sitting on your ass Sunday afternoons watching the NFL.

Judge how well you're doing by your waistline. If you're a 38-40 now, try to get to a 36 (and keep it there). As far as eating, try not to eat after 7 or 8 at night. That's the real tough one for most people, but you can even cheat on that a little if you do the cardio (walking and treadmill) and weight train. Also, bread is a killer. And I love bread.

Good luck.

Kat said...

I'm with Maggie.. if you're going to get on the scale do it with as little on as possible and most definetly without your shoes on.

First thing in the morning, before you eat and after a trip to the bathroom is a good time.

Although for 6'5 I think you're a great size. Not that it matters but you'd be what I'd call the perfect size for a man.
I likes em big *grin*

Lisa Renee said...

Mike - the best advice I can give you is to make sure you eat nothing at least three hours before you go to bed. Make sure you eat a breakfast that is healthy, drink lots of water and keep walking.

I also agree with Maggie take off the shoes!


historymike said...

(laughing at the shoe comments; blushing at kat)

Thanks for all of the advice; I learned a lot.

As far as my height, my problem is that all weight I gain goes directly to my gut. I have never been one to put weight on that sort of spreads itself around.

The end result is that I look like a pregnant power forward.

historymike said...

Anonymous -

I am unclear about the reason for the TFP web site updates.

I have been wrapped up in academic stuff the last six weeks, and have not been a very integral part of TFP of late.

I do have something coming out in 2 weeks for TFP.

Hooda Thunkit said...


Everything that used to work stopped when I turned 50.

Now, only starving seems to work...

Brad said...

You have got really useful information. I think most of the people around us are suffering from the weight problem. I am also having the same weight problem. My aim is to lose 30 pounds by New Year. While looking for some in this regard, I found a really useful weight loss site. The owner of this site, Brad himself is going through the weight loss process. So he is sharing with us really useful weight loss stuff. On Brad site you are going to get really helpful fast weight loss tips with many successful weight loss stories and the motivation you required for losing weight.

Brad said...

Great post. If you are looking for some Fast weight loss help then Brad weight loss blog can be really helpful to you.