Oct 21, 2006

Honest Housekeeper Returns $12,450 in Cash

(New York) Marie Toussaint, a housekeeper at St. Luke's Hospital in New York, found an envelope holding more than twelve thousand dollars in cash under a pillow after an elderly patient had checked out.

Toussaint, who moved to the city from Haiti in 1974, never considered keeping the money.

"The envelope fell on the floor, and I took it outside right away because we had another patient in the room," said Toussaint, 50. "I didn't look in it - I just saw it was big money, and walked outside to give it to the nurse in charge."

The reason that she did not take the money, said Toussaint, was simple.

"The money didn't belong to me, and I wasn't supposed to take it," she told the Associated Press. "That's the normal thing to do."

The hospital worker believes that she has already been rewarded.

"I came here when I was really young, and I worked really hard to have everything in my life," she said. "I've always got a reward here. "I don't need money - I've got everything God has given to me."

Amen to that.


Anonymous said...

Nice story, Mike. It's good to read about people like Marie.

Stephanie said...

I agree. That's a sweet story. It's nice when good things make the news too!

Hooda Thunkit said...

And just when you're pretty well convinced that there are no honest people left in the world.

Notice it wasn't a white collar worker; If it were, now that would be a shock...