Oct 19, 2006

Instantaneous Yellow

Share
Yeloow maple leaves (Toledo, OH) I admit that my research sometimes causes me to be oblivious to changes that occur around me, but I would bet a dollar that the leaves on this maple tree in my yard were still green yesterday.

This tree stubbornly refuses to acknowledge the arrival of fall. Our 150-foot Shumard oak has already lost most of its leaves, but this maple tree seems reluctant to acquiesce into the change of seasons.

Our pines, of course, thumb their coniferous noses at those of the deciduous variety.

Though it was one of the last trees in the neighborhood to stay green, its days of providing shade are numbered. I suspect that we will be without leaves on our property within the next 10 days.

That is, not including those lying on the ground. I am never in a hurry to rake, being one to view early rakers as people who waste a lot of energy chasing leaves around the yard. I prefer to wait until the leaves have fallen from the tress, and when I know that the city plans to send the leaf trucks in the neighborhood.

4 comments:

McCaskey said...

Beautiful pic. Let's all enjoy the best season of the year, IMO.

Anonymous said...

ooooooooooooooo pretty colors! I sure do miss the color change....

Shame it got to 90 degrees today.

(giggle)

BrianInVero

Stephanie said...

And this is why I love this site:

"Our pines, of course, thumb their coniferous noses at those of the deciduous variety."

Excellent! Someone might think you're a writer or something with a line like that!
;-)

I know just how you feel, though. Except, tonight it's snowing, and all the leaves still haven't fallen. The little girl in me is stamping her foot, "It's not FAIR!" But, alas, this is Wisconsin. *sigh*

Stephanie said...

Oh, and btw, I'm back!
:-D