Oct 26, 2006

Rapid Rhetoric: CONTUMACIOUS

This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

contumacious \kon-too-MAY-shuhs\ adj. Obstinate; rebellious; stubbornly disobedient; recalcitrant; persistently, willfully, or openly defiant of authority.

Contumacious is derived from the Latin word contumax, meaning "insolent" or "rebellious."

There are noun forms of the word ("contumacy" and "contumacity"), as well as an adverbial form ("contumaciously").


microdot said...

Cheese-o-pizza, Mike, you took the word right out of my mouth. Ever since I saw George Bush's Press conference yesterday, I have been feeling pretty damn CONTUMACIOUS!

Elizabeth said...

I plan to use this word in the near future, thanks.

microdot said...

Off the subject, but, hey, did you hear that Rush Limbaugh is going to try to prove that FDR was just faking polio to get the New Deal passed?

Stephanie said...

Have you ever come across the word "prolegomena?" It was the "punch line" in a writing book I'm studying, but I had to look it up. It made me want to throw something. (The "joke," if you could call it that, was in the Introduction to the book: which covers fiction, essays, articles, poetry and playwriting, but "could be weak on prolegomena.")

Hooda Thunkit said...

Sikes! ..., err, Yikes!

I thought we were still on the Bd. of Ed. topic ;-)