Oct 28, 2006

Scoured and Shorn

Share
Shumard oak after winds blew off its leaves (Toledo, OH) Wind gusts approaching 40 mph are tearing through Northwest Ohio today, and many of the leaves that remained on my trees have been forcibly removed from their branches.

For that matter, many branches have been blown down as well by the gale force winds from the northwest. The National Weather Service issued a wind advisory for the area, and the low pressure system causing the high winds will be out of the region by tomorrow. Here is the text of the NOAA alert:

A WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 PM EDT THIS EVENING.

WEST WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH WILL OCCUR INTO THE EARLY MORNING HOURS. WINDS OF THESE MAGNITUDES MAY CAUSE OUTDOOR OBJECTS SUCH AS GARBAGE CANS AND LAWN FURNITURE TO BE BLOWN AROUND AND DAMAGED. A FEW TREE LIMBS AND POWER LINES MAY COME DOWN. EXPECT THE WINDS TO DIMINISH AFTER MIDNIGHT.
FirstEnergy is currently reporting about 8,500 customers without power in Northwest Ohio. Many thousands more are without power in municipalities in and around Cleveland.

My Shumard oak tree, pictured above, has nary a leaf left on it. Most of its leaves have been blown to the property of my neighbors to the east, but alas - they were replaced by leaves from other neighborhood trees further west.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am hiding inside today, Mike. Too damn windy for me!

JD

historymike said...

Good call, JD. I raked a few leaves, but spent most of the day indoors, too.

Erv Kosch said...

I was hiding in the Happy Rose while all hech broke loose. Mmmmm... sweet and sour chicken.

McCaskey said...

It was a great day for chili (Mrs. McCaskey makes the best around) and staying inside watching college football.
I did get out to walk the dog and play full-time quarterback while my son and his buddy went against each other in touch football in the front yard. My completion percentage was about 30 per cent--too much wind.

Maggie Thurber said...

good news - the wind blew most of the leaves in the side/back yard into the bay.

bad news - all the leaves from the street are now in my front yard - stopped by my fence from making it into the bay.

lots of raking ahead....and I still have 5 trees with leaves that are more green than yellow on them...

Hooda Thunkit said...

Pruning time, Nature's way!