Nov 30, 2006

A Looming Storm

Radar snapshot courtesy of

(Toledo, OH) Dark clouds are entering my neighborhood from the southwest, as Toledo prepares for the first major winter storm of the season.

At the moment it is a balmy 58 degrees outside, but conditions will change in the next 24-36 hours. Depending on the track of the system, my area could get as little as 2 inches of snow, or perhaps as much as 4, by Friday evening.

Local meterologists, however, believe that the warm ground temperature may prevent significant accumulation of snow.

This same storm is currently wreaking havoc across the Great Plains, with areas of Kansas and Missouri expecting a foot or more of snow. Temperatures behind the storm front are quite cold, dropping below zero in parts of Montana and North Dakota and into the low teens as far south as New Mexico.

My forecast: local grocery stores will be packed this evening, as the year's first snowfall always sends residents into a preparedness mode.


McCaskey said...

Let it snow! I got my outside Christmas decorations put up last weekend when it was balmy.
Besides, tommorow's December 1. Time for some white stuff.

microdot said...

I remember some great storms in Michigan and Ohio...I was stuck on the Toledo Terminal Drawbridge for a few days after a blizzard in 1976. I was the operator and no one could relieve me after the storm hit.
Here, we are lucky to see an inch. When a storm is approaching, there is true panic and the boulangeries are stripped bare of bread. Lines form and panicked rumors of 2 centimeters on the ground in Perigueux are feverishly spread.
Then it snows, nobody in this part of France is able to drive in the snow, all is quiet and we all are at home in front of the fire eating our soup, hopefully with enough Bread!

Mark said...

Fear fear fear!

Consume consume consume!

We'll be able to move around, for crying out loud. It's just snow.

Maggie Thurber said...

I'm with you, our lights up same time and now ready for snow.

Besides, if it snows a lot now and then gets cold, the Maumee Bay will have nice ice for skating and iceboating...yea!

McCaskey said...

Microdot: Mid-to-late seventies' winters here were brutal...lots of snow, lots of cold. '77 and '78 were atrocious. Topped off of course by the Blizzard of '78.

Maggie Thurber: Is iceboating fun? Sounds challenging.

microdot said...

Whoops, fuzzy brain...that was the blizzard of 1978! I moved to NYC later that year. I was on the Terminal Bridge up on Summit Street for almost 48 hours! The wind from the storm blew the storm doors of off the bridge house and the propane tanks into the river. The only time in my life that I was grateful that the McDonalds that used to be on the Summit St. Side was open!

McCaskey said...

Microdot: just curious...where did you work as a chef in Toledo when you lived here?

microdot said...

I apprenticed at the Hillcrest Hotel when it had a real kitchen and worked there for 2 years then Churchills Fine Foods at the Starlight Plaza in Sylvania. Smiths Cafeteria when it was a dinner theater, then the Anthony House over on Airport Highway. I also managed and cooked at a short lived vegetarian place called The Wizard on Delaware in the Old West End. Then I started working for the Toledo Terminal Railroad, finished college and moved to NYC and some how became a Punk Rock musician for too many years. I just had some of my art work published in "Up Is Up, But So Is Down" An anthology of New York's Downtown Literary Scene, 1972-1992 published by The NYU Press. A scary collection....

McCaskey said...

I like how you have a continued interest in the Toledo area even though you've been gone many years. It's a good thing to see.

Hooda Thunkit said...

Thankfully the rains stayed out and my basement remained dry. I still have to build up the soil near the house this coming spring though.

I still can't forget the winters in the 50's and early 60's in Toledo though.

We frequently had icicles hanging from the eaves to the ground, right along the downspouts, sometimes as big around as your leg.

And, when we has a quick freeze after a late season rain, most of Scott Park was an ice rink, especially by the stand of dogwoods near Nebraska Ave., at the west end of the park.

Those were some winters for the kids that had to walk to school.