Nov 14, 2006

Mastering the Art of the Dual Dog Walk

Walking two dogs at once (Toledo, OH) I have a few hours on Tuesday and Thursday mornings that I spend at home, and this is a good time to take my dogs Jimmy and Candy for a walk.

The act of one person simultaneously walking two dogs, however, requires a fair amount of dexterity and patience. This endeavor is all the more challenging when one, for example, hopes to also photograph the event for his blog.

I think that the most important factor is the walker's anticipation of the direction in which the leashed dogs intend to go. Switching leashes from hand-to-hand as the dogs cross paths prevents them from getting tangled, I have learned.

We use the retractable leashes, and learning how to use them in the manner of fisherman's reels helps avoid entanglement.

Two dogs sniffing for a place to do their business Left: Sniffing in this manner usually means one thing

Responsible dog owners - as I try to be - carry with them bags for the inevitable bathroom breaks dogs must take. No matter how many times dogs have defecated on a given day, they always need to let loose when going for a walk.

And the most well-manicured, leaf-free lawn always seems the most suitable place to call "toilet," in a dog's eyes.

Thus, one has never truly mastered the art of the dual dog walk until scooping excrement from one dog while another is straining at the leash to chase a squirrel.

Be patient, young grasshopper, for victory favors the clear-minded.


Do said...

So we are to assume that you will not be adding "professional dog walker" to your resume'?

BTW - there are 'professional' leashes that require only one hand and have multiple 'leads' to attach to each dog. Might be easier to manage.

Valbee said...

Mike... ya gotta be the pack leader! Haven't you ever seen "The Dog Whisperer" on National Geographic TV? :)

Hooda Thunkit said...

Val's onto something Mike, the Dog Whisperer trains people and dogs to walk as a pack, and you're the leader.

But then, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun, would it?


Lisa Renee said...

Three dogs is even more of an adventure, when we had our Golden Retriever and the two Manchester terriers I would hold the leash for the two Manchesters in my weaker left hand since they were of course smaller and the leash for the Golden in my right hand. I found I couldn't use the retractables though, and there was a never ending competition between the one female manchester and the female golden as to who would be "first". Needless to say I only did this when I could not round up a child or two to go with me. We would then still have the competition of which dog had to be first but at least I didn't feel as if I had been stretched...


microdot said...

I have a border collie/beagle mix dog named J. Edgar. Pretty funny 1 year old active male, pretty well behaved, but try as I might, I can't get him to stop pulling on the leash. We go for a lot of hikes. He's okay off the leash and fairly obedient, but when there are hunters around, he's on the leash!
I have been working with the Sarah Whitebread training method and it works for a lot of things, in fact he seems to get the idea that he shouldn't be pulling, but it doesn't stick and I'm back to square one.
Any suggestions?