Nov 6, 2006

Rapid Rhetoric: FILIOPIETY

Share
This is an irregular feature - both in frequency and oddness - dedicated to a word I came across that I have never previously used.

filiopiety \fil-ee-oh-PIE-eh-tee\ n. excessive reverence toward ancestors; cult of ancestor-veneration.

Filiopiety is derived from the Latin words filius ("son")and pietas ("reverence," "patriotism"). Somewhat akin to ancestor worship, filiopiety is perhaps best represented by the American devotion to the group of post-independence figures known as the Founding Fathers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,
Thanks for defining "filiopiety" for me. It wasn't Webster's New World dictionary. I am reading "A Student's Guide to U.S. History" by Wilfred M. McClay and he uses that word. He must have aced the verbal section of his SAT since I have been looking up several words as I read. Thanks, Molly

Anonymous said...

I've never come across the word "filiopiety" except when I listened to the scholar Hamza Yusuf. I too had trouble finiding the word in dictionaries. However, filiopiety is a very common concept in Islam as it is a part of a Muslim's obedience to God.
It is stated in the Holy Quran:
"Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor. And out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say, "my Lord! bestow on them Thy Mercy, even as they cherished me in childhood." (17: 23,24)

http://www.islamfortoday.com/akhtar01.htm

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/filiopietism