Nov 27, 2006

A Surreal Moment

Share
Fall sky (Toledo, OH) While I was walking to teach a class today, the carillon at the University of Toledo began to play the beautiful English folk song "Greensleeves" (also known as the Christmas carol "What Child Is This?").

I have always enjoyed that haunting tune, but my reverie was interrupted by the whup-whup-whup of helicopter blades, as the Toledo Police helicopter passed overhead.

I looked up through barren trees at a blue sky near noon on an unseasonably warm November day, momentarily disconcerted by the strangeness of the scene.

Police chases and Christmas carols. November and sunshine. Music and mayhem.

Finishing my carbonated can of liquid caffeine, I went on, muttering to myself that thinking can be dangerous, or at least distracting.

2 comments:

Hooda Thunkit said...

Mike,

Nothing like an intrusive police helicopter to spoil a mood :-(

Hopefully, the chopper, "Air One" didn't spoil the mood for you too long ...

carillonista said...

The most original description I have perhaps ever read about listening to a carillon. Thank you for that.