Nov 11, 2006

Transporting Rescue Dogs Across the Country

Share
Traffic on the Ohio TurnpikeLeft: Traveling on the Ohio Turnpike with rescue dogs

(Toledo, OH) My recent posts about the rescue dogs we have adopted caught the attention of a transport coordinator involved with the Canine Underground Railroad. The group was formed in 1991 to aid in the ground transport of rescued dogs.

A pair of rescue dogs needed rides to get to a new home in Iowa, and the Railroad helped coordinate a total of twelve legs of the journey. My wife and I handled a small Ohio segment, from Norwalk to Toledo.

Shepherd mix puppy Left: Delaney, a 6-month-old puppy

Delaney is a 6-month-old Shepherd mix who was saved from euthanasia in an Ohio shelter 2 weeks ago. He was not feeling especially well today, and threw up twice on earlier legs of the trip. He slept most of the trip for us, though; lying in the middle seat of our Suburban, he patiently went through with what must have been a rough ride for him.

While picking up the dogs from the previous transporter, a pair of strays showed up in the cold November mist. There was a certain irony in leaving these strays behind at the gas station, which was heightened further by the playing of "Rescue Me" by Fontella Bass on Oldies 93.5 WRQN as we got back on the highway.

Coincidence? Decide for yourself.

Male coon houndLeft: The loveable Gunner

Gunner is a black and tan male Coonhound who was saved from a Ritchie County (Virginia) pound about six months ago. He is very affectionate and rode well in the truck.

Gunner's fur is very short, and has a sleek quality akin to that of a thoroughbred horse. While good-natured, he has that mournful-looking face exhibited by coonhounds, and it was hard for us to say goodbye to him.

We wish both dogs well, and hope that they find the happy home they deserve.

For more information on adopting rescue dogs, see The Toledo Area Humane Society, Planned Pethood, or Petfinder.com.

4 comments:

Do said...

Mike - you're a stonger soul than I am. Had I put either one of those animals in my van they would have wound up in my house. I could not have let them go. Which is exactly why I don't foster parent or get involved in that kind of exercise. Purely selfish, I know. But I couldn't let them go. It would break my heart. And I would wind up with 100 dogs in the house and the police and health department at the door.

Thanks for being such a kind soul. They (the pups) surely appreciate it, and so do I.

McCaskey said...

I greatly respect your work with this cause.
I agree with Do; those are beautiful dogs and would be hard to let go.

Hooda Thunkit said...

I couldn't do it either, I'm too soft-hearted.

Mrs. Thunkit always gets it wrong and says that I'm soft-headed though...

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Someone once said, "A society can be judged by the way it treats children and animals." Thank you for raising the bar.