Dec 20, 2006

Blogger Beta Bites Big Bananas

I apologize for the eight hours or so that this site has been down. I attempted to swtch to the Blogger Beta platform today, and all I got out of the experience was frustration.

Multiple emails to Blogger Support went unanswered. I finally received a form email from Blogger informing me of their collective incompetence:
Thanks for your interest in the new version of Blogger. An error has occurred that has prevented us from switching your account at this time. Our engineers have been notified of the issue, and your blogs and Blogger account should not be affected.
Uh, Blogger? My blogs and Blogger account were affected, and I learned that Blogger should not be trusted to provide reliable service.

This is a good reminder to myself that it is time to migrate to a real domain name, and to switch to a platform with actual human support. Any suggestions?


Lisa Renee said...

If you switch over to a domain and use Wordpress you will be able to import all of your posts from here to your new domain. Certain items such as photos using bloggers photo uploading program don't work but I did that with Glass City and all of the posts and comments successfully were duplicated on the new domain.

I went with Go Daddy which was a mistake, except for from a cost point of view. I haven't had any downtime at all but it was hard to learn to navigate it all at first and their support isn't great for a newcomer to the world of domains.

Brad said...


And that's really all I have to say about that. I've never been a happier blogger than I am now since I've made the switch.

Saskboy said...

I think Google wants people to leave so they have fewer blogs to support. WordPress is growing.

microdot said...

Blogger Beta! ACCKHH...GAHGGG! Nothing but minor problems and snafus since Ii has only made things slightly more complex and annoying..I don't get the advantage of it at all!
When I first started with Blogger I could email with a problem and get some kind of response..from a human, but now there is only a support system that rarely makes it easy to address the issue that I am stumped by!

Maggie Thurber said...

Makes me glad I didn't switch...I suppose, though, that it's inevitable to switch somewhere eventually...

Michael said...

I switched from MT to WP -- because the friend who's hosting my blog says it offers better spam protection (and won't crash his servers as often).

I've been on WP a month, and it seems fine as a user. Still have to bring over my old links and organize 'em. But, that's me, not WP.

historymike said...

Wordpress weems to be the unanimous choice!

Hooda Thunkit said...

No suggestions at this time, but I too am tired of Blogger's non-reliability.

There's no excuse for it.