Dec 28, 2006

Waxing Gibbous Moon - Toledo, Ohio

(Toledo, OH) It took several hours of experimentation, but I finally took a decent shot of the moon tonight, which is in its waxing gibbous lunar phase.

The key seemed to be to combine a faster shutter speed (1/500 second) with exposure compensation that keeps priority on the center of the frame.

That, and patience. I took over 100 photos before I got a decent one with fine detail of the moon's surface. I used PhotoImpression to sharpen the image and adjust the contrast a smidgen.

Like climbing a difficult mountain, photographing the moon is one of those rites of passage that people feel compelled to undertake. There is something about the moon that draws humans, something etched deep in our collective memory.


Do said...

Great photo, Mike!

I'd like to take a look at that camera when/if you have time for a coffee after the New Year.

Hooda Thunkit said...

Great picture Mike!

One of my brothers shoots pictures of the heavens as a hobby, but you and I together couldn't afford the setup that he has in his back yard.

Trust me on this...